Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favourite movie?
Question 
What's your favourite movie?
It's a tough call for me. There's a number that stand out, but it's really had to narrow it down to one. Here are a few to kickstart the thread.

Pulp Fiction
Clichéd pick, I know, but I just love this film. It really is that good. Everything from the point where Vincent goes to pick up heroin to when he drops Mia off at home the second time is GOLDEN. The chemistry between the characters, and the actors, in those scenes is ridiculous. The later stuff with the diner and the dungeon is great too, but the Mia/Vincent story really stands out to me.

This is Spinal Tap
Sometimes you see a comedy and it matches your own sense of humour step for step, and ends up being indescribably hilarious. I've never met a person who finds this movie as hilarious as I do. See: "Puppets and Spinal Tap"
- Meatball
RE: What's your favourite movie?
Conspiracy (TV film from 2001)
A movie about the Wannsee conference with Kenneth Branagh, Stanley Tucci, and Colin Firth. It is basically a movie about at a meeting, so in essence it would seem rather boring. But the interaction, the brilliant acting, and the setting makes this one of the most impressive movies I've ever seen. A great co-operation project by the BBC and HBO.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Life of Brian Irreverent satire of Biblical films and religious intolerance focuses on Brian, a Jew in Roman-occupied Judea. After joining up with an anti-Roman political organization, Brian is mistaken for a prophet, and becomes a reluctant Messiah

Quote:Brian: What will they do to me?
Ben the Prisoner: Oh you'll probably get away with crucifixion.
Brian: CRUCIFIXION?
Ben the Prisoner: Yeah, first offense.
Well, there have already been some excellent choices- Pulp Fiction and Life of Brian are both films that I love too.

Blue Velvet is still probably David Lynch's finest movie. Its a dark and disturbing work of surrealist cinema, which mixes small-town sentimentality with sexual perversion, murder, torture, rape and drug dealing. The cinematography is gorgeous, incredibly vivid while at the same time very noir-ish. The acting is top-notch: Hopper and Rossellini give their best ever performances. Altogether a masterpiece. I've seen it maybe 7 or 8 times over the years, and I could watch again tomorrow.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
Impossible as asking me what my favourite record/artist is!
I like films that " move " me in some way.
Being a political animal I like anti-war films, so " Dr Strangelove", the black and white cold war nightmare scenario played for laughs, with Sellers excelling in multi rolls, must be up there.
I also think " Born on the 4th July " is excellent because of the transformation that takes place of the central character following his traumatic injuries, treatment received back home and thinking things through more rationally.

On a totally different plane I think ET is brilliant for portraying a true friendship in such an uplifting way.

Back to blood and politics ( and black & white ) " Danton " starring Gerard Depardieu as Danton is french film-making par excellence. It follows Danton's path through the revolution ( one of my favourite subjects ) to his execution on mme Guillotine. It's atmospheric...you can sense the events unfolding...and almost smell the blood!

Like previous posters I love " Life of Brian " too!

Enough for the moment...I may be back.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
This is an impossible question to answer for me, as well. I am totally addicted to entertainment and movies are one of my favorite forms. The best I can do is list my favorite genres and give a few of my favorites in each.

I don't know what to call this genre, but Watchmen, Sin City, and V For Vendetta, are definitely my top three in whatever genre it is. Movie versions of Graphic Novels?

Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Moon, Lord of the Rings (trilogy), Blade Runner, and Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Drama: Layer Cake, Gladiator, Monster, and The Patriot... and We Were Soldiers.

Comedy: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Princess Bride, History of the World Part 1, and Office Space.

Thrillers: Natural Born Killers, American Psycho, The Descent, and Scarface.

Don't even get me started on horror movies. That's my favorite genre. I wouldn't be able to whittle that down to a top 20.
Like Arnie,I'm back.
Music movies I like are " Walk the Line " the Johnny Cash story.
Oliver Stone's one about The Doors is good. Val Kilmer makes a good Jim Morrison I think.
There was one made in the 80's I think about Buddy Holly, can't recall the name of the actor, no doubt someone will remind me, which I enjoyed.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Well, I'm a huge cinephile, so it's damn hard for me to narrow it down. Here's my attempt at a list:

Western: Good The Bad and the Ugly, Searchers
British Humour: Ruling Class, O Lucky Man, Borat, Any of the Monty Python Movies, Naked (for a very limted value of "Humour")
Freaky Shit/Guilty Pleasures: Zardoz, Kung Pow, Manos the Hands of Fate, Reefer Madness, Glen or Glenda
Sci-Fi: A Clockwork Orange, Watchmen, Metropolis (original Fritz Lang, not the Anime), Plan 9 From Outer Space
Anime: Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Perfect Blue
Killer Movies: Silence of the Lambs, Pulp Fiction, either Bad Lieutenant, Leon the Professional, Bad Seed, American Psycho, Sweeney Todd
Comedy: Modern Times, Annie Hall, Chasing Amy, Ed Wood, Napoleon Dynamite
Bogart Movies: Casablanca, Maltese Falcon
Film Noir: Third Man, Kiss Me Deadly, Mildred Pierce, Chinatown
Hollywood Renaissance: Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Rocky Horror, Godfather 1 and 2 (not 3), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Documentary: Grizzly Man, Bowling For Columbine
Foreign films: M, Exterminating Angel, Stalker, Seventh Seal, Alexander Nevsky
Religious Films: Pasolini's Gospel According to Matthew, Passion of Joan of Arc
In a Class All By Itself: Requiem for a Dream

I might elaborate on the list if I have time.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(May 25, 2010 at 6:25 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Kung Pow

Only 1 scene gave me a smile, the rest was just painful for me to watch.

Quote:Manos: The Hands of Fate

Only the MST3K viewing of it. Wink
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Life of Brian. Hands down winner of my all time favorite.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movie Trailer heads up thread. Gawdzilla Sama 446 33755 April 26, 2024 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Ironic movie pairing. Gawdzilla Sama 1 537 November 10, 2023 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Favourite Plays FrustratedFool 42 2291 September 3, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Favorite horror movie MR. Macabre 666 13 1074 June 14, 2023 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What Your Favorite Religious Movie ? The Architect Of Fate 25 2484 November 24, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Uberpod
  Favourite Songs In Oddly Specific Catagories BrianSoddingBoru4 3 357 February 23, 2022 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Movie scenes that made you crap your pants. Brian37 33 2665 November 5, 2021 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Movie plot holes "Diehard 2"........... Brian37 10 1343 July 15, 2021 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Your favourite books/author The Valkyrie 50 2729 April 28, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The jarjar binks of a movie tackattack 19 1280 November 4, 2020 at 11:14 am
Last Post: brewer