Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I went to church today
I went to church today
I had to go to church today.

Despite my best (and successful) efforts to black it all out, the feeling of suffocation didn't leave me til I was out the door.

What fascinated me was this strange impression. Now, standing there as an unbeliever, when bits of the mass did sink in through my wall of frantic thoughts attempting to remember the build and functions of all parts of the human respiratory, circulatory, digestive and urinary systems, I noticed how much more insane everything the priest said sounded, and how much more evident the marketing psychological tricks were to the not blindfolded eye.

Glad I don't have to be there anymore.
RE: I went to church today
I can't remember having felt anything than fundamental boredom at church, ever since I was a child. Sometimes to the point of falling asleep. Freezing my ass off is another fond memory.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Just a lot of guilt, some anxiety and indeed, freezing my ass off ._.
Why, for what reason?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Baptism of a relative. Despite my best effort, couldn't weasel out of it.
Yes, why, oh why, would you do this?

The last time I went to church, it took a $20 bribe to get me there. It was a Catholic mass, and I got ripped off. It would take a lot more than that now to get me back into a church service.

ETA: I was ninja'd with the answer.
Since I still play for ONE Mass each weekend, it's . . . instructive.  I now listen for absurdities.  I frequently marvel at the fact that I once, somehow, just agreed with what I was hearing.  I'm amazed that we have this capacity to turn off logic.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(October 25, 2015 at 12:18 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Yes, why, oh why, would you do this?

The last time I went to church, it took a $20 bribe to get me there.  It was a Catholic mass, and I got ripped off.  It would take a lot more than that now to get me back into a church service.

ETA: I was ninja'd with the answer.

$20? damn it, I knew I should've charged more Undecided
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 25, 2015 at 12:13 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Just a lot of guilt, some anxiety and indeed, freezing my ass off ._.

Maybe my feeling of guilt evaporated just because they rubbed it into our faces so brazenly when I was about 7. When I was a teen, guilt didn't come in anymore.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 25, 2015 at 12:29 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: $20? damn it, I knew I should've charged more  Undecided

Well, all you have to do is not take it very seriously and make fun of it, and they'll never ask you to go again. Catholics have a part in the mass where everyone gets up, shakes each others' hands and says, "Peace be with you." I was a teenager at the time, and back then my friends and I used to use the word "burrito" as an all-encompassing term for all occasions. I tried really hard to avoid eye contact among the "peace be with you"'s, but this lady snagged me and reached out her hand. She said her thing, and I replied, "Burrito." She looked flabbergasted, and my wife who was my girlfriend at the time said she heard the lady say, "That young man has lost his way."

No one has asked me to go to church since.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 7995 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1201 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Dinesh D'Souza went to jail?! Jehanne 12 1867 June 3, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Just looking for some fun reactions to today's Bible reading drfuzzy 13 2226 January 29, 2018 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Um, should we do anything special today (Maundy Thursday) ?? vorlon13 27 5022 April 14, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4122 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  encounter with a fundie homeschooler today - just sharing drfuzzy 43 8286 February 12, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Huffington post article today: "My Emancipation from American Christianity" drfuzzy 35 13450 December 6, 2015 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  So I spoke in tongues today! BlackMason 36 3783 October 2, 2014 at 10:33 am
  So.. I got my Miracle Water today. Mostlyoffensive 16 5697 February 6, 2014 at 12:01 pm