Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Rechargable Batteries Lose Their Capacity to Held Energy?
Why do Rechargable Batteries Lose Their Capacity to Held Energy?
I have a talking book player with a rechargeable battery. It tells me how much battery power is left when I turn it on. I've noticed that whenever I inadvertently allow the battery to run dead, it's capacity to hold energy diminishes by several hours. Time alone doesn't seem to diminish it however. For instance, when I first got it, the battery lasted 28 hours fully charged. When I fell asleep and it ran dead, it would only hold 23 hours fully charged. Why?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why do Rechargable Batteries Lose Their Capacity to Held Energy?
Quote:Any battery issue is by definition a chemistry problem. In a healthy battery, ions flow freely between a cathode and an anode. Charging a battery forces ions from the cathode to the anode; using the battery reverses the flow.

Over time, this process wears out the cathode, which results in reduced capacity. A high-end lithium-polymer battery can lose about 20 percent of its capacity after 1000 charge cycles. Another way to think of this is to imagine that every time you recharge your laptop, you shave a few seconds off its maximum battery life. Erratic charging and heat speed up this degradatio

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technolo...e-6705747/

Google is your friend, you know.
Goddidit.
Batteries are not mentioned in Scripture so they are instruments of SATAN.

Thou art damned.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The one I'm most familiar with is lead-acid, like a car battery. Like most battery types, they suffer from self-discharge. In their discharged state, the lead can sulfate and harden which destroys its ability to store energy. It is different for other battery types but in all cases, permanent chemical changes occur because of age and heat. In most cases, being left in a discharged state is a problem too as well as being drained to the point where it's nearly dead even for a short time.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Rhonda, with modern lithium power tools, they don't like being drained completely.
In fact, the electronics in the battery packs cuts their power off at a certain level (when we think they are fully drained) so we won't drain them further.

Not sure if your gadget has this failsafe protection. Try not to let it drain completely if possible.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I think they just get tired.

[Image: ain%27t-got-time-for-dat.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Green Energy Transmission Line Authorized BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1575 May 29, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Free energy for realz! ignoramus 11 1340 November 26, 2019 at 7:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Can IT protect people from their own stupidity? Jehanne 14 1505 July 25, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  6 Flags and their new 3 axis Puk-o-lator vorlon13 18 1939 September 1, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So who's ready for their tracking implants? (You probably already have one) tackattack 20 6396 May 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn