Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:15 am

Poll: Will you use Swift?
This poll is closed.
I am Using it now
33.33%
2 33.33%
I am Learning It
0%
0 0%
I am Planning to Use it
0%
0 0%
I don't code or program so no
50.00%
3 50.00%
I am planning to learn it
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programming Language Swift Poll
Programming Language Swift Poll
Swift is a Somewhat new language created by Apple. Are you planning to use it? 
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/..._Language/
[Image: atheist_stereotypes_by_uchihakaito-d4yng2u.png]
RE: Programming Language Swift Poll
Fuck no.

I already hate Apple-- their closed doors, their fucking locks, blocks and limits, their history of trying to force their vision of how things should be used on their consumers.

Now, they are going to make a language that tells people how to fucking program.  No.  Just no.

What they SHOULD do is run a c or java environment, and provide SDK libraries for the specific features they offer.  Instead, we get this condescension:

Quote:Swift combines the best in modern language thinking with wisdom from the wider Apple engineering culture.
Why is it that a non-zero number of people can't see how fucking douche-y Apple is and always has been?

Also, you have the shittiest poll ever made for a forum. How do you ask "Are you going to use it?" and the only no answer requires me to say that I don't program? I'm starting to think you might be an Apple employee.
My husband says....basically what Bennyboy just said.

To clarify his thoughts, he knows C, C++, Java, Javascrip, Python, C#, and some other things like HTMLCSS. He tends to learn as many as he can, but only USEFUL languages. He says it is stupid to learn a language that is not only platform specific, but also somewhat device specific.

So, to echo Bennyboy...Fuck no!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
--edit--

Wait a minute. . . now I'm starting to second-guess my first response. Maybe Shining_Finger was being cleverly ironical, and the poll was meant to be a reflection on the oppressive culture which Apple has always imposed on its users and even more on developers. In which case-- touchee, and SF is a genius.
(November 1, 2015 at 10:09 pm)bennyboy Wrote: --edit--

Wait a minute. . . now I'm starting to second-guess my first response.  Maybe Shining_Finger was being cleverly ironical, and the poll was meant to be a reflection on the oppressive culture which Apple has always imposed on its users and even more on developers.  In which case-- touchee, and SF is a genius.

Ah, perhaps so, since all of his options are basically "yes", with one exception for non-programmers.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(November 1, 2015 at 10:40 pm)Aroura Wrote:

Wait a minute. . . now I'm starting to second-guess my first response.  Maybe Shining_Finger was being cleverly ironical, and the poll was meant to be a reflection on the oppressive culture which Apple has always imposed on its users and even more on developers.  In which case-- touchee, and SF is a genius.

Ah, perhaps so, since all of his options are basically "yes", with one exception for non-programmers.

Smile

I think we can agree, though, that whether SF is a genius or an Apple fanboy, we all here are still in the "fuck no" crowd.

I will only say that I like someone that second guesses themselves. That is the trait of someone able to escape a Cult. 

On a unrelated note I will direct you to this list of apps only on the Apple IOS store and not on the Android store. 
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-sto...-apps.html
My favorite is Paper's, Please, an app converted from another gaming platform. 
Yes; Hardcore Gamers stay up at night to play Candy Crush!!!
[Image: atheist_stereotypes_by_uchihakaito-d4yng2u.png]
If my employer of 16+ years insisted upon using it, I would, but I would seriously reconsider my plans of staying with them until retirement. I'm not a fan of proprietary tools and vendor lock-in.

Fortunately, we don't do IOS apps and I have some influence as to the tools we use in any case.
I don't intend to ever use any Apple programming language. Can't stand their products or the cult(ure).

The only way I would is if I had my own business that produced an app that was successful and I wanted to port a native version to IOS.
(November 1, 2015 at 11:38 pm)Shining_Finger Wrote: On a unrelated note I will direct you to this list of apps only on the Apple IOS store and not on the Android store. 
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-sto...-apps.html
My favorite is Paper's, Please, an app converted from another gaming platform. 
Yes; Hardcore Gamers stay up at night to play Candy Crush!!!

If you want to convince me that Apple hardware is shiny, and that there are some very good apps for Apple products, that's done and done. If you want me to believe that the Apple programming environment will ever matter to me more than Windows for computers or Java for Android phones, then get real. I might at some point install an SDK and do a port if it takes less than a week to execute it, just so I can cover the 10% or whatever phones in Korea that aren't Android, but I certainly am not going to invest in designing and programming original applications in an Apple-developed environment.

As for the Apple-only apps, what can I say? They are the kind of apps that only Apple people would want. I really can't imagine any scenerio where I'd give a non-zero number of fucks about any of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here's a simple programming problem for you to solve ErGingerbreadMandude 44 4893 April 28, 2016 at 10:02 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Programming Question Shining_Finger 8 1365 December 2, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Programming the Human Mind: Shining_Finger 21 4579 November 24, 2015 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Anyone into Android programming? emjay 97 18168 September 20, 2015 at 6:50 am
  Advice Sought for Web Programming AFTT47 13 3265 April 4, 2015 at 10:41 pm
  Multi Language Subtitle Files Darwinian 2 1170 April 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Darwinian