Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do people believe in God?
Why do people believe in God?
Is it because they are weak and cannot take reality?

Is it a chemical imbalance in their brains (or in ours)?

Is it genetic? Are Atheists the next step in evolution?
RE: Why do people believe in God?
"Is it because they are weak and cannot take reality?"

nobody likes the idea of death and in a way religion solves that problem for them with heaven. I guess in the sense that they don't accept death as an end of consciousness as we do may be reason to consider them weak.

"Is it a chemical imbalance in their brains (or in ours)?"

I like that you added 'or in ours' because we are the minority unless you live in the UK.

"Is it genetic?"

I thought genetics and chemical imbalances were intertwined since genetics produces the chemical imbalance. I hope atheism isn't particularly genetic because that would mean that the only way for our idea to spread would be for us to reproduce more. Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? I think more and more people are converting to atheism now more than ever because of the availability of human knowledge on the internet that has only been around for 20 years disproving the hypothesis that atheism is particularly genetic.

"Are Atheists the next step in evolution?"

Your question here is based on a misunderstanding of evolutionary biology which is treating evolution like a linear process. I know the first thing anyone sees when studying evolution is the picture of a monkey gradually turning into a human but that's a linear view of evolution which doesn't represent evolutionary biology at all. Anyhow, with all the gene flow and no selective pressures in the human population, I don't see evolution being apparent any time soon.
(June 4, 2010 at 3:28 am)mem Wrote: Is it because they are weak and cannot take reality?

I should think rarely.

Quote:Is it a chemical imbalance in their brains (or in ours)?

Why would it be an imbalance? Perhaps a belief 'God' implies a balance of chemicals in the brain Sleepy

Quote:Is it genetic? Are Atheists the next step in evolution?

No, and no.
TFS Wrote:I like that you added 'or in ours' because we are the minority unless you live in the UK.

They have more rocks in the UK? Hot dog! I want in! Big Grin
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 4, 2010 at 3:42 am)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: "Is it because they are weak and cannot take reality?"

nobody likes the idea of death and in a way religion solves that problem for them with heaven. I guess in the sense that they don't accept death as an end of consciousness as we do may be reason to consider them weak.

"Is it a chemical imbalance in their brains (or in ours)?"

I like that you added 'or in ours' because we are the minority unless you live in the UK.

"Is it genetic?"

I thought genetics and chemical imbalances were intertwined since genetics produces the chemical imbalance. I hope atheism isn't particularly genetic because that would mean that the only way for our idea to spread would be for us to reproduce more. Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? I think more and more people are converting to atheism now more than ever because of the availability of human knowledge on the internet that has only been around for 20 years disproving the hypothesis that atheism is particularly genetic.

"Are Atheists the next step in evolution?"

Your question here is based on a misunderstanding of evolutionary biology which is treating evolution like a linear process. I know the first thing anyone sees when studying evolution is the picture of a monkey gradually turning into a human but that's a linear view of evolution which doesn't represent evolutionary biology at all. Anyhow, with all the gene flow and no selective pressures in the human population, I don't see evolution being apparent any time soon.
A chemical imbalance in the brain can be treated-as in the case of depression.
I ask about evolution because humans evolved with a need for religion I think, so why do so many of us not need to believe? In my case I guess I would love to believe in God but I just cant. I was brought up a catholic and turned away from it all in my late teens.
People believe in god for many reasons.

1: because its 'easy' in christian/muslim/hindu or whatever land its just easier to follow the herd
2: because it offers easy answers to difficult questions.
3: because people find the idea of an afterlife less scary than the truth.
4: because people can be dumb

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 4, 2010 at 3:28 am)mem Wrote: Is it because they are weak and cannot take reality?

I enjoy reality and live in the now, I don't see what weakness or strength has to do with beliefs at all. If yoou percieve the opposite side as weaker perhaps you're projecting.

Quote:Is it a chemical imbalance in their brains (or in ours)?

Good idea treating differences in ideologies as a disease. I think fundamental literalists are still doing that to homosexuals today, go picket with them. Are you intentionlly trying to obfuscate the point?

Quote:Is it genetic? Are Atheists the next step in evolution?
I would hope independant thought and true personal freedom would be the next step in social evolution. If we determine thoughts and beliefs can be controlled at a genetic level, let's just sign up for the baby maker vending machine, then we can all get what we want. Could you email me your genetic mapping, I think I'd want to leave out certain codons relating to perception, discrimination and open-mindedness.

@dbp-
5. Because they draw the logical conclusion from subjective evidence, deductive reasoning, and testing/verification that it's more likely that a creator exists than not.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I've got the best reason of all:

6:
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Hey! Take it easy tack-check out neuropsychology to understand my meaning
For informational purposes or study is one think, classifying something as a neuropsychological problem/disease or using it to manipulate how people believe is a slippery slope. I doubt if any positive correlations are found that scientists could limit themselves to just monitoring and not tampering, historically this has shown to be true. I apologize if my tone came accross as confrontational, I'm without much needed sleep and surviving off of vicodin and monsters.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(June 4, 2010 at 6:59 am)tackattack Wrote: For informational purposes or study is one think, classifying something as a neuropsychological problem/disease or using it to manipulate how people believe is a slippery slope. I doubt if any positive correlations are found that scientists could limit themselves to just monitoring and not tampering, historically this has shown to be true. I apologize if my tone came accross as confrontational, I'm without much needed sleep and surviving off of vicodin and monsters.
Was only musing on things. No offence intended. I guess it did sound pretty insulting. Sorry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 448181 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1889 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1425 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 7832 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 7520 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3009 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 12890 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 3910 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6221 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3149 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball