Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is excited about the new Star Trek series?
Who is excited about the new Star Trek series?
Not only are we getting a new Star Wars movie next month, but in a year from now we're getting a new Star Trek series. I mean Star Trek is probably in my top 5 list for greatest shows ever! So knowing that we're getting a new Trek series just blows my mind!

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star...nuary-2017
RE: Who is excited about the new Star Trek series?
I am by default excited by new Star Trek, but I am still pissed about the huge missed opportunity that was Enterprise.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 10, 2015 at 8:42 am)Quantum Wrote: I am by default excited by new Star Trek, but I am still pissed about the huge missed opportunity that was Enterprise.

Yeah the Romulan war would have been interesting, but tbh I didn't care too much for Enterprise. In my personal opinion it was the weakest series in the franchise, with the exception of the animated series from the 70's.
I am moderately excited, what gives me pause is Alex Kurtzman being at the helm. He's had a hand in the reboot Trek films, Transformers, The 'Amazing' Spiderman, etc. He's only acted as a producer on most of the projects he's been involved with though, which means he essentially did fuck all creatively. Hopefully, he hires competent people, ignores the non-starter that is the reboot universe and focuses on continuing the story within the Prime Timeline.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(November 10, 2015 at 8:42 am)Quantum Wrote: I am by default excited by new Star Trek, but I am still pissed about the huge missed opportunity that was Enterprise.

I reckon they should have made space travel a lot more dangerous for a lot longer. They basically solved all the problems and discovered everything that there was to discover in the first season and then it was just straight forward Star Trek again but about building the federation.
(November 10, 2015 at 8:49 am)Kaiser Wrote: I am moderately excited, what gives me pause is Alex Kurtzman being at the helm. He's had a hand in the reboot Trek films, Transformers, The 'Amazing' Spiderman, etc. He's only acted as a producer on most of the projects he's been involved with though, which means he essentially did fuck all creatively. Hopefully, he hires competent people, ignores the non-starter that is the reboot universe and focuses on continuing the story within the Prime Timeline.

Yeah, I hope he doesn't pull a George Lucas and take complete control of the project. I agree he should not make the series about the reboot universe. I heard it'll be completely new characters, so it certainly won't be the reboot of Kirk and Spock and those guys, thank Kahless.
(November 10, 2015 at 8:53 am)Mathilda Wrote:

I reckon they should have made space travel a lot more dangerous for a lot longer. They basically solved all the problems and discovered everything that there was to discover in the first season and then it was just straight forward Star Trek again but about building the federation.

e.x.a.c.t.l.y.

It should have been dirtier, more dangerous, improvised, with no automatic translator. It would have been absolutely epic. We've seen a little bit of that in STVIII, do that, but less campy. They went immediately to a sterile scenario with ST standard tech, and started recycling 30 year old story lines.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(November 10, 2015 at 8:57 am)Quantum Wrote:
(November 10, 2015 at 8:53 am)Mathilda Wrote: I reckon they should have made space travel a lot more dangerous for a lot longer. They basically solved all the problems and discovered everything that there was to discover in the first season and then it was just straight forward Star Trek again but about building the federation.

e.x.a.c.t.l.y.

It should have been dirtier, more dangerous, improvised, with no automatic translator. It would have been absolutely epic. We've seen a little bit of that in STVIII, do that, but less campy. They went immediately to a sterile scenario with ST standard tech, and started recycling 30 year old story lines.

Well, they did have that 911 season, and the Nazi alien time travelers were interesting. To its credit the show did put out some good episodes and it had its moments. It's just there was more mediocre crap in there than there was anything memorable.
I have no interest at the moment.   If, against all expectations, the new series prove to be interesting, and not just one more piece of tiresome soap operaesque rehash, I am sure I will hear about it and be notified to develope an interest.

Btw, the appeal of Star Trek for me had never been in the "richness" of a totally unconvincing, soap opera like, gratuitously technobabble filled, shamelessly pandering, unimaginative, tiresomely self referential, make belief universe born out of the next generation.  So I don't give a rat's ass about "fleshing out" the "history" or "cultures" of Vulcans or Klingons, or the back stories of the main characters.  For me it was always the stand alone stories of the original serie episolds that justified star trek's existence. It doesn't have to clearly define its relationship with other parts of the Star Trek " universe". It doesn't need to overload itself with technobabble, and it doesn't need to be mushy.
(November 10, 2015 at 9:01 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: I have no interest at the moment.   If, against all expectations, the new series prove to be interesting, and not just one more piece of tiresome soap operaesque rehash, I am sure I will hear about it and be notified to develope an interest.

Btw, the appeal of Star Trek for me had never been in the "richness" of a totally unconvincing, soap opera like make belief universe.  So I don't give a rat's ass about "fleshing out" the "history" or "cultures" of Vulcans or Klingons, or the back stories of the main characters.  For me it was always the stand alone stories of the original serie episolds that justified star trek's existence.

I am not a big fan of myth arcs and the excessive dwelling on back stories either. But still, Sins of The Father was one of the best TNG episodes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 774 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 427 May 5, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 822 May 4, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Super Heroes, Star Wars and Star Trek is the worst entertainment made in US history Sanau 18 1733 March 30, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Wink Star Wars plot holes? Wash your mouth out! ignoramus 3 522 May 23, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Have a Stellar Star Wars Day onlinebiker 44 2205 May 5, 2019 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Nakara
  Star Trek Discovery Season 2 is Good Mechaghostman2 28 3377 March 25, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  10 things you didn’t know about Star Wars robvalue 3 856 March 20, 2019 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Star Wars fan film: Darth Vader: Episode 1 Shards ofthe Past Cepheus Ace 5 519 December 23, 2018 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  Let's (re-)watch a series on Netflix together. Mystic 33 3787 October 18, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead