Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you ever wish you could just say "these people should be killed"
Do you ever wish you could just say "these people should be killed"
I just tried it on facebook. I made a comment because I was bored, against my better judgment. I said "kill all christians". So I left it there for a couple minutes, then I get a reply from someone saying "someone report this guy, he's going to be the next school shooter!" So I quickly deleted the comment, because I obviously wouldn't be able to get away with saying something like that. Doesn't it kind of suck though that we as people can't just talk like that? I mean I would never kill someone myself, but often when I am really pissed off at people for whatever reason, all I want to say is "well they should be fucking killed and I want to kill that son of a bitch". You can't really say that though, not in the society we live in today, where the cops are going to come busting down your door or something. It's sad to me though, I wish that I could just say "we should kill ______" or "kill all __________" as much as I want. 

What would be your better judgment? Do you ever feel like speaking this way? If you don't then what is a better way of thinking, which helps you avoid thinking this way? I admit, I get pretty angry at stuff and I sometimes just wish that I could just start talking about my actual feelings.
RE: Do you ever wish you could just say "these people should be killed"
We have too many crazy people out there for us to jokingly say kill all of a group of people. I do think some people should be shot, but those would be really messed up individuals.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Unfortunately, the way to discern the true meaning of "kill all Christians" is to hear the person's voice inflections and see their facial expressions. That is not a luxury on the internet. In the days of frequent mass shootings, statements like that on facebook can not be taken too lightly when you can not interpret the true intentions of the poster.
I think it depends on the context. If it could reasonably be interpreted as an incitement to action, then I'd say it's not good.

That does kind of hinge on how stupid and impressionable a lot of people are, but sadly, that is the case. So I'd say it's irresponsible to write such things unless it's clearly not meant seriously. Whether it should have legal consequences is a matter of debate.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 15, 2015 at 10:09 am)DespondentFishdeathMasochismo Wrote: I just tried it on facebook. I made a comment because I was bored, against my better judgment. I said "kill all christians". So I left it there for a couple minutes, then I get a reply from someone saying "someone report this guy, he's going to be the next school shooter!" So I quickly deleted the comment, because I obviously wouldn't be able to get away with saying something like that. Doesn't it kind of suck though that we as people can't just talk like that? I mean I would never kill someone myself, but often when I am really pissed off at people for whatever reason, all I want to say is "well they should be fucking killed and I want to kill that son of a bitch". You can't really say that though, not in the society we live in today, where the cops are going to come busting down your door or something. It's sad to me though, I wish that I could just say "we should kill ______" or "kill all __________" as much as I want. 

What would be your better judgment? Do you ever feel like speaking this way? If you don't then what is a better way of thinking, which helps you avoid thinking this way? I admit, I get pretty angry at stuff and I sometimes just wish that I could just start talking about my actual feelings.

If you say you wish you could kill people, you have no business getting bothered when people take you at your word.

I've found that I'm able to express my feelings more precisely by using nuanced language. Rather than saying "Joe Blow should be killed," for instance, I'll just say that he should be shot in the face with rocksalt, or have his eyes poked out. The ridiculousness of the phrasing tips my hand that I'm not being serious, and spares me the odium of people who don't know.

But then again, I stay off Facebook for the most part.

Yeah - you have to be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff before you can get away with a comment like that.
Saying "kill" ties the death to an action, possibly your action. Might be better off just saying die.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Being in the wrong place at the wrong time could put you at risk with a documented comment like that. The ol' "He was such a nice guy and kept quiet and to himself" can lead to "But that guy over there said, "Kill 'em all!"".
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I take the view that you should be able to say literally anything you want without any legal repercussions. Of course, except in the case of spreading potentially dangerous information that people shouldn't know for their own safety.

These days I feel like saying fuck all muslims without giving a flying fuck about being called a racist, xenophobe, etc.(by imbeciles who don't know the meaning of the word muslim, but still). But I restrain myself. We don't live in a perfect world.
No, it's not a good idea to write that online where it can be so easily read as hate speech meant to incite violence. That being said though...

https://youtu.be/jhGQT4IGGaU
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2359 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Schrodinger's Cat. What say you? Brian37 39 2326 October 19, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4573 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  These guys have ALL the answers Dr H 3 542 November 13, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Should we discard achievements made by unlikable people? bennyboy 75 11926 January 17, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12119 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Should we ever foster delusion? shadow 36 6804 July 30, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What do scientists say about existence? Mariosep 186 50229 July 20, 2017 at 10:59 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4537 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences? arda101 39 5908 January 29, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Magilla