Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Christmas this year, suggestions
No Christmas this year, suggestions
So part of the reason I was gone for three weeks was dealing with a serious family crisis that I don't want to get in to right now, but as a result of this, we find our selves this year in a serious financial hardship.  We have never been big on gifts because we have a large family and we also do a lot in the community with giving and fostering relationships with those less fortunate, but this year we find ourselves in a unique situation of not being able to afford any gifts of any kind for anyone. Normally each child will get one big gift (usually $50) and maybe a few small gifts and then we reveal our family vacation for the following year.  This year, none of that will be happening. 

I'm looking for some suggestions of things we can do to replace that "Christmas magic" that our kids normally associate with the visit from Santa.  In a way I think this is a good thing because we do so much as a family for those that are without, that now the kids get to sort of experience being without.  We still have our basic necessities, but this year there won't be presents under the tree and that will be new for them.  I'm not concerned with how they will take it, because they don't ask for much.  Just curious if anyone has some ideas.

We still plan on caroling, working at the food bank, donating our old coats and shoes to the clothing drives etc.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
RE: No Christmas this year, suggestions
Why not festivus all is like christmas but you are giving and getting presents like christmas.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
That really sucks, but if you will spend time doing some charitable work together, that might just be the most memorable christmas they will have for a while!

But that being said, I'd be happy to chip in for a gift for your kids if there's a way.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 17, 2015 at 5:38 pm)Quantum Wrote: That really sucks, but if you will spend time doing some charitable work together, that might just be the most memorable christmas they will have for a while!

But that being said, I'd be happy to chip in for a gift for your kids if there's a way.

Oh no no, that's not necessary at all.  I think we will really step up our charitable work this year to really emphasize the point that it is better to give than receive.  Some ideas I liked were making cookies and delivering them to local police and fire stations, go to a local coffee shop just to buy someone else's coffee, plan a family adventure day.
Sounds great...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

As a child, when we were on the outs we gave personal possessions away (gave my sister my music stand, got my grandpa's bolo tie from my dad), gave time/talents to each other away (i.e. I'll spend a week teaching you swimming) or made things. Stuff like that. It's not the gift but the thought, but I'm sure you know that.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 17, 2015 at 5:57 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: As a child, when we were on the outs we gave personal possessions away (gave my sister my music stand, got my grandpa's bolo tie from my dad), gave time/talents to each other away (i.e. I'll spend a week teaching you swimming) or made things. Stuff like that. It's not the gift but the thought, but I'm sure you know that.

Yeah we are on the same train of thought MH.  Really just driving home the giving and charity.  My kids aren't really in to the "consumerism" mentality anyway, so I don't think this will be particularly difficult for them.  They always look forward to the reveal of the family vacation.  This year, we are just going to say we have not decided on it yet.  You never know we may be able to plan something a bit lower scale so i don't want to say it isn't happening.
If you break down and feel like you must get the kids something, you could go to a Dollar store and buy them each a few of things. I used to consider doing that when my kids were younger, because most of their toys would be broken or lost within a week or two anyway. Sometimes within days.
What about a day where everybody draws or crafts a gift for another family member? Kind of like a secret santa, but without spending any money. Then everyone would have a gift on Christmas, but no one would have to spend any money to do so.
[Image: 08.jpg]
(November 17, 2015 at 6:24 pm)MentalGiant Wrote: What about a day where everybody draws or crafts a gift for another family member? Kind of like a secret santa, but without spending any money. Then everyone would have a gift on Christmas, but no one would have to spend any money to do so.

I like it.  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star HAPPY NEW YEAR Nay_Sayer 14 957 January 1, 2024 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 622 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  2022 Very Merry Christmas thread!! Jehanne 7 709 December 27, 2022 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  [Serious] A true Christmas story. Jehanne 6 853 December 19, 2022 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Happy New Year!! Jehanne 16 745 January 1, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 713 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2172 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Merry Christmas!! Jehanne 10 747 December 26, 2021 at 8:28 am
  Brace yourselves... Christmas is coming! T.J. 71 2902 December 25, 2021 at 11:22 am
  Christmas decorations 2021 pics brewer 21 1712 December 13, 2021 at 8:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus