Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there an algorithm
Is there an algorithm
Is there an algorithm, or some way, to compare two unlike things and get a like answer.

For instance, say I wanted to find out who is the least rich, and most successful athlete

Ideally I would imagine this answer would be achieve by sorting through one category, and then the other, and then comparing each to find a balance in between, which does not mean the answer will be the #1 least rich athlete or #1 most successful.

Hopefully you understand what I mean?
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Is there an algorithm
You would first have to define how you are reaching your answer. The first question would be whether you are interested in where each person ranks in each category, or their actual figures.

If you were going by ranks, you could define the "least rich and most successful" as the person with the minimum result for adding the two ranks together.

If you were using the actual figures, you will need to define a formula which produces a single number from both the figures.

So I would say there is no "correct" way of combining and comparing the two, but algorithms could be made once you've defined how you will weight each one.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Least paying prize money for particular sport x most first wins.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(November 18, 2015 at 1:14 am)robvalue Wrote: You would first have to define how you are reaching your answer. The first question would be whether you are interested in where each person ranks in each category, or on their actual figures.

If you were going by ranks, you could define the "least rich and most successful" as the person with the minimum result for adding the two ranks together.

If you were using the actual figures, you will need to define a formula which produces a single number from both the figures.

So I would say there is no "correct" way of combining and comparing the two, but algorithms could be made once you've defined how you will weight each one.
The weight would be 50-50..

It's hard to explain, like I know what I mean but don't know how to explain it..

It would evaluate the earnings from say if you are defining the ranks "Top 20 from each" it would evaluate the earnings from all the top 20, and then it would[Bad example, lets just assume you are using this for a rank of "successful athletes" in a list of 20] it would figure out what athlete has the least amount of money in the top 20, but has accomplished the most.

I guess what I mean is think of it like "success" in number of, random example; career wins.

I'm wondering if you can take the career wins, and evaluate how many each person has in the top 20
And be able to have a list of how much each one of those people have in their bank account

And for example it would go something like:
Wins[by rank] | Money:
1 | 12M
2 | 22.5M
3 | 146M
4 | 18M
5 | 10M
6 | 7M
7 | 15M
8 | 4.4M
9 | 84.9M
10 | 72M

And then, what i'm wondering, is if there is a way to find what person has the highest wins, with the lowest amount of money in comparison to all the other values given.

You misunderstood me, hopefully you understand my question now.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
You have to decide on a function which assigns each pairing of success statistics and income a number, according to which you can sort. There is a lot of freedom to choose such a function, but you can limit your choices by demanding that it fulfill certain criteria (e.g success being the same, less money always giveshigher values, and vice versa, and more of those). You will then narrow down your possibilities until you have ideally only a few left between which you have to choose.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Heat: Yeah... I don't see how the new explanation changes my answer.

If you're asking if there is one correct way to do this, then the answer is no. There are many ways you can do it, but it's entirely up to you to choose one. We could suggest ideas of course, but their merit is purely subjective.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
All the formulas in the world mean nothing if you don't have the correct data to correlate.
If there's some xl or other dB's out there with this info, this is where a formula can slice n dice.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(November 18, 2015 at 1:56 am)robvalue Wrote: Yeah... I don't see how the new explanation changes my answer.

If you're asking if there is one correct way to do this, then the answer is no. There are many ways you can do it, but it's entirely up to you to choose one. We could suggest ideas of course, but their merit is purely subjective.

No, I hadn't seen your answer, but you obv say the same thing
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Sorry, I wasn't referencing you, I meant the OP's clarification after my initial answer Smile

Index of my best videos
You could try diving the number of wins by the amount the athlete is paid to find the best value athlete. Not sure it will give the answer that you are looking for because you're trying to reach two different and possibly exclusive goals simultaneously (poorest and most successful), but it would be interesting to see the result.

Unfortunately you'll have to examine your data set to find the best algorithm. For example, is payment correlated with success? Are they completely unrelated? How noisy and variable is the data?