Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 3:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hindu Perspective: Counter to God of Gaps Theory
Hindu Perspective: Counter to God of Gaps Theory
I’d like to present a counter view on the God of Gaps theory presented by many athiests. If we believe that the universe is infinite we would also believe that knowledge about the universe is infinite. If knowledge is infinite then the questions one asks about the universe is therefore also infinite. 

If we agree on everything stated above, I would introduce the subject of God into the thesis. According to most religions God or the Divine is believed to be infinite. If that is true then it would hold that Science cannot ever explain God because for Science to explain God that would mean that it would have to have perfect knowledge of the universe and according to the logical arguments presented above that is not possible. As knowledge of the Universe and God is infinite, one cannot ever fully explain either one fully.

For the theory above to work one would need to accept the following assumptions. 

1. There is such a thing as God and God is infinite. Now if you don’t accept there is God, fine, but one cannot have their cake and eat it to. One either has the option to simply deny the existence of God as long as one does NOT argue the basis for their reasoning is that Science has disproved God because as seen from the above argument that does not make sense logically. 

It would be fair to say I don’t believe in God because everything I see in my reality tells me that believing in such a thing is completely crazy, or I’ve never had any personal experience to me make think there ever was a God, BUT one cannot say that one doesn’t believe in God because Science has disproved it.

2. Science in itself is a means to explore and uncover knowledge. Science cannot be called infinite because science is only a tool to uncover knowledge. So the argument that science is also infinite doesn’t hold in this case because we have defined science as a process or tool but not the essence, which is knowledge. Therefore if science can never fully uncover all knowledge then it also is fair to say that science can never fully prove or disprove God because like knowledge and the universe, God is infinite.
RE: Hindu Perspective: Counter to God of Gaps Theory
No atheist worth their salt will claim that "science has disproved God". At least none here that I know of. One could say that science has rendered God unnecessary, but I am still skeptical whether the concept has ever explained anything in the first place , really.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If someone told you science has disproved God they were misinformed. 
Where'd you'd get that from?
Depends on the god, really, Quantum.  Science has most definitely disproved the god that flooded the word, save for a handful of numbskulls and their livestock in a boat made of wishes and dreams.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The burden of proof (or more likely lack there of) falls on the inventors/believers of the fantasy delusion, not science.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 18, 2015 at 5:51 pm)Krishna Jaganath Wrote: I’d like to present a counter view on the God of Gaps theory presented by many athiests.

You haven't countered anything, what you've presented is literally just the god of the gaps fallacy: "science can't explain everything, and my god exists in the gaps that science can't explain." It's the most textbook example of the thing you're claiming to counter, and you're gonna sit here and act like you've presented something new and cogent?

Quote: If we believe that the universe is infinite we would also believe that knowledge about the universe is infinite. If knowledge is infinite then the questions one asks about the universe is therefore also infinite. 

Where on earth did you get the idea that the universe is infinite? It has, insofar as we're talking about our current expansionary universe, a defined beginning at the big bang, and as far as I know, also spacial boundaries too. At the very least you'd have to follow the science and acknowledge that we don't currently know whether the universe is finite or not.

It's always interesting, when theists pop up here and begin their arguments based on premises that they don't bother to establish a consensus on, nor even justify; the more a theistic argument relies upon taking certain premises as read, unquestioningly, without even establishing that we will first, the more the eventual conclusion relies on desperate twisting rather than anything agreeable. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
We don't currently know anything about whether there are spatial boundaries.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(November 18, 2015 at 6:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Depends on the god, really, Quantum.  Science has most definitely disproved the god that flooded the word, save for a handful of numbskulls and their livestock in a boat made of wishes and dreams.

Oh yeah, that God... He's an idiot.

(November 18, 2015 at 6:12 pm)Quantum Wrote: We don't currently know anything about whether there are spatial boundaries.

Cool, thanks for the correction. I'd remind the OP that "we don't know," isn't any sort of confirmation for the claim that the universe is infinite, though.

He seems to have trouble with that. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 18, 2015 at 6:09 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(November 18, 2015 at 5:51 pm)Krishna Jaganath Wrote: I’d like to present a counter view on the God of Gaps theory presented by many athiests.

You haven't countered anything, what you've presented is literally just the god of the gaps fallacy: "science can't explain everything, and my god exists in the gaps that science can't explain." It's the most textbook example of the thing you're claiming to counter, and you're gonna sit here and act like you've presented something new and cogent?

Quote: If we believe that the universe is infinite we would also believe that knowledge about the universe is infinite. If knowledge is infinite then the questions one asks about the universe is therefore also infinite. 

Where on earth did you get the idea that the universe is infinite? It has, insofar as we're talking about our current expansionary universe, a defined beginning at the big bang, and as far as I know, also spacial boundaries too. At the very least you'd have to follow the science and acknowledge that we don't currently know whether the universe is finite or not.

It's always interesting, when theists pop up here and begin their arguments based on premises that they don't bother to establish a consensus on, nor even justify; the more a theistic argument relies upon taking certain premises as read, unquestioningly, without even establishing that we will first, the more the eventual conclusion relies on desperate twisting rather than anything agreeable.  Rolleyes

Interesting way to look at it but I would have to politely disagree with how you approached it. God of Gaps for me says that theists are putting God in a gap that has not been filled by science, which eventually will be filled by science, and therefore there will be a point according to the God of Gaps theory where scientists will explain everything and there is no where to put God. 

My thesis is only to prove that the God of Gaps theory is false based on an assumption that knowledge is infinite, and if we assume God to be infinite as well, that "gap' will will never be filled. That's one point. 

The second point: It goes with a story about how God appeared on Earth, and told the people here I am, please believe in me, follow the teaching of Love and you will start to perceive reality in a different way. The people did not believe him no matter what he did, exactly because of this notion of knowledge is infinite. No matter what God shows as proof in the material world, we will never believe because as knowledge is infinite our questions are also infinite, and we will always ask a question which has the potential of disproving God.

** Thanks for the point about how we don't know if the universe is infinite. I am not a scientist and I don't infact know. I am making a certain assumption that the universe is infinite. Only to make the point that knowledge is infinite and we has humans will never stop asking the question Why. If you believe that we has humans will one day stop asking the question why, or we will have answered all the questions that exist, then by all means disagree with the statements i am making.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 3935 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1769 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 13474 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 25086 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 57802 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1653 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12278 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  A crazy theory Ruprick 11 2676 February 18, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  God of the gaps... maybe? Exian 18 2389 February 7, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My anti-theistic perspective Foxaèr 122 15098 February 4, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky