Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quection Abot Multi-walled Nanotubes
Quection Abot Multi-walled Nanotubes
I may be mistaken about this but I seem to recall that the graphon sheets in a multi walled nanotube are kept stable by some substance that controls the balance of attraction and repulsion between them. I forgot what that substance is and can’t find information about it.

This information is important to my current project, so if anyone here can enlighten me, I will be much obliged and will conduct you into the Rhondazvous International Hall of Geniuses.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Quection Abot Multi-walled Nanotubes
I am a field theorist, so I know little about CNTs. But to my knowledge, no other chemicals are put in between CNT layers, at least none that remain there. Or are there? So what do you mean by "substance"?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 19, 2015 at 3:22 pm)Quantum Wrote: I am a field theorist, so I know little about CNTs. But to my knowledge, no other chemicals are put in between CNT layers, at least none that remain there. Or are there? So what do you mean by "substance"?
"Substance" may not be the precise word. I'm thinking of some kind of agent that , as I said, balances the attractionrepulsion needed to keep the walls stable. This may be a catalyst rather than something that remains a part of the nanotube.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

Are you referring to covalent vs non-covalent modification/modifiers?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 19, 2015 at 4:22 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Are you referring to covalent vs non-covalent modification/modifiers?

I've read that modifiers are added to make them soluble in other substances, nothing so far on stabilizing the tibes themselves...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(November 19, 2015 at 4:03 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(November 19, 2015 at 3:22 pm)Quantum Wrote: I am a field theorist, so I know little about CNTs. But to my knowledge, no other chemicals are put in between CNT layers, at least none that remain there. Or are there? So what do you mean by "substance"?
"Substance" may not be the precise word. I'm thinking of some kind of agent that , as I said, balances the attractionrepulsion needed to keep the walls stable. This may be a catalyst rather than something that remains a part of the nanotube.

Adjacent walls are probably subject to Van der Waals forces, but that is just the attraction..

(November 19, 2015 at 4:31 pm)Quantum Wrote: Adjacent walls are probably subject to Van der Waals forces, but that is just the attraction..

That just might be the clue I'm looking for. I will look it up and see what I can do with it. Your induction into the RIHG is very close.

--Voltaire

@Quantum

You hit the nail on the proverbial head with the Waals force. Turns out to be exactly what I was looking for. I see the word waals in the notes I took back in May, but did not remember the reference to VDW force and mistook it for a typo for the word walls.

Here is an article that you might find interesting as a theorist.

Modeling of van der Waals force for infinitesimal deformation of multi-walled carbon nanotubes treated as cylindrical shells
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...8305001587

[Image: uf5sj.jpg]via Imgflip Meme Maker

--Voltaire

Rhonda, you are a woman of your word.
Wow cool, my first hall! Smile
But mh.brewer first brought up the word "non covalent", and caused me to write out the name for the non covalent forces.