Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:44 am

Poll: :s
This poll is closed.
I'm a vegetarian
6.25%
2 6.25%
I'm a vegan
9.38%
3 9.38%
I'm a meat eater
59.38%
19 59.38%
Other
12.50%
4 12.50%
Fuck all polls >:c
12.50%
4 12.50%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veganism & vegetarianism
Veganism & vegetarianism
Your thoughts? Are you either, and is it because of the ideology or health benefits? Arguments for and against?

Because, you know, on one hand, steak. OTOH bacon Confused

I find that the conditions in the meat industry are sometimes inhumane. But I don't have any data as to how common it is and whether there are any regulations in place. If it wasn't an issue, I don't see a reason not to eat meat in reasonable amounts.
RE: Veganism & vegetarianism
I'm a second-stage vegetarian:  I only eat animals that only eat plants. Except, you know, when I don't.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(November 21, 2015 at 6:28 am)Pandæmonium Wrote: I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

Oh crap. *turns into a million bats and flies off into the moonlight*
I'm vegan, for ethical reasons. I became vegetarian at about 12, when it finally occured to me what I was eating. I became vegan some 10 years later, after learning more about the dairy industry.

My opinion on it all, because you asked: Smile

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 21, 2015 at 6:28 am)Pandæmonium Wrote: I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

[Image: 2rxg03l.jpg]

I'm a carnivorous bastard, and I sometimes play find the vegan on FB.  Big Grin
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
I am a vegetarian for emotional reasons
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Well the resident public health student can explain to you the perils of veganisim and vegetarianism if you like. Some serious issues include orthorexia nervosa, malnutrition, osteoporosis, dental cavities, vitamin d deficiency, LDL deficiency, and consequently mental health problems.

There are an unlimited number of diets that are potentially suitable for people, especially for people who have food allergies or food intolerances, however broadly speaking there are only two diets that are recommended for "most people" without the need for specific instruction from a dietician, nutritionist, physician, or sports trainer. And those are the AGTHE (or the comparable ones available from other countries such as USA & Japan), or better still, DASH.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(November 21, 2015 at 7:09 am)Aractus Wrote: Well the resident public health student can explain to you the perils of veganisim and vegetarianism if you like. Some serious issues include orthorexia nervosa, malnutrition, osteoporosis, dental cavities, vitamin d deficiency, LDL deficiency, and consequently mental health problems.

I've heard that vitamin D can be found in a multitude of vegetables and vegan products actually, and that a bigger risk is the vitamin B12 deficiency which has to be supplemented since it's found exclusively in meat.

Malnutrition? You mean deficiencies or just too low a calorie intake? Are you saying that is necessary in any vegan or vegetarian diet? Because if you balance it out and provide substitutes, it shouldn't be a problem. Some vegetable products for example have a higher protein content than meats.

What mental health problems specifically at vegans and vegetarians at risk of?
There isn't *the* vegetarian diet, Aractus. What exactly are we talking about here?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Animal rights, veganism and PETA Autumnlicious 80 17230 January 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious