Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another new member
Smile 
Yet another new member
Hi, I am so glad I found this site! I am very much looking forward to discussions as I sort out dealing with my family's reaction to my atheism.

I was baptized catholic and was even an altar boy. I always felt that I was going through the motions, and didn't really push back. If I did, it was passive, in the sense that I didn't go to church. During college, there was a "chapel" that my parents encouraged me to attend on Sundays, but I never went. I was married in a methodist church, and even joined the choir. I'll be honest, I love singing (the challenges, the reward of good harmony) and still feel that some of the best choral music was inspired by churches. But even during service, I never felt god was real, and I felt foolish making "belief statements" that were not true.

Deep down, I have always believed that religion was invented, and the ceremonies and rites and vestments were all just figments of belief systems that were dreamed up years ago and nobody had the balls to challenge without stigma. The worst followers are those who base their vile actions on religion.

Don't get me wrong: I have seen good deeds dealt out by religious institutions, so it could be said that the existence of religions do produce good. However, overall, I believe they do more harm than good because they numb people into accepting without challenging. I think overall this is harmful to mankind.

Some people counter challenges against religion by saying, "Well it weren't for religion, what would be the motivation to do good?" My response is that if you need a religion and its penalties to prompt ethical behavior, there is something wrong with you! I go back to the quote from Wayne's World: "Be excellent to each other." You really don't need a religion for that; it should be as simple as internalizing the belief that we should help each other and be nice to each other.

So I have decided to not attend church any more. We will continue to donate money and clothing to causes we want to support.

Well, that's about it for my introduction!
RE: Yet another new member
Welcome thool, you're one among many!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Many former catholics around here, including me.  Don't miss their silly bullshit a bit.

Welcome aboard.
Howdy from Texas!
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
You haven't lost a religion, you've gained Sunday mornings! Welcome.
Welcome !
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

welcome matey from AU.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
That's a great story, thanks for sharing Smile I totally agree with the points you made.

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts, and if you're so inclined, joining in our silly banter too Wink
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome fellow choir person Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new member asswriter 8 229 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4446908 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New member MistMuse 7 273 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 581 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 871 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 656 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1367 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1195 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2068 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2636 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one