Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Absolute truth and human understanding
Absolute truth and human understanding
I think most of us humans agree that we are not all-knowing beings. We are not gods ourselves. Still as it comes to religion, absolute statements fill the room, the blogosphere, books, debate. How can this be? How can it be that Daystar writes "The Word of God, though, is always right", as an absolute truth. Has he somehow acquired a state of all-knowingness, or is this an example of how the wish is father to the thought.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
RE: Absolute truth and human understanding
Simple. The Bible claims that God is never wrong, and that it was written by God through man. Thus by the logic of circular reasoning...

TADA!
(December 12, 2008 at 3:37 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Simple. The Bible claims that God is never wrong, and that it was written by God through man. Thus by the logic of circular reasoning...

TADA!
Are you absolutely certain about that?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
I'm 100% certain about it but I wouldn't say I know absolutely Wink
(December 12, 2008 at 4:11 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I'm 100% certain about it but I wouldn't say I know absolutely Wink
Do you leave in some irrational room between 100% certain and absolutely certain for some experiments with personal dogma or are you just fiddling around with words?
I would like to continue this thread.
I think the whole absolute truth claims is what causes a lot of problems.
Dogma is the huge problem for me. Dogma is when "faith" goes from bad to worse.
But "faith" generally is thought not to be questioned anyway by a lot of the world. So what's the main difference? That's what I'm wondering about this.
Is it perhaps that dogma is worse because its not just unquestioned "faith" but its faith that is forced upon others?
What does it take to go from "faith" to dogma?
Evf
I hate the notion of absolute certainty. It's completely useless. There's always room for doubt no matter how infinitesimal. I think understanding things can't be absolutely certain but at least certain to an almost absolute degree allows for people to have a meaningful conversation. People like Daystar who claim absolute certainty of a book based on hearsay is not worth my time.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(December 18, 2008 at 11:03 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: I hate the notion of absolute certainty. It's completely useless. There's always room for doubt no matter how infinitesimal. I think understanding things can't be absolutely certain but at least certain to an almost absolute degree allows for people to have a meaningful conversation. People like Daystar who claim absolute certainty of a book based on hearsay is not worth my time.
I agree. It is argued that the only absolutely proven things are mathematics like 2+2=4.
But I've argued that how can we be 100% absolutely sure that we're not in a computer simulation that works by completely different laws of mathematics or some really weird equivalent to mathetmatics? Could we simply say: That's 100% impossible because we can only conceive of one type of mathematics. And/or because we can't conceive of a universe without numbers. Thats absurd" - could we 100% for absolutely 100% certain for sure? Lol. Could we 100% KNOW that absolutely I mean? Rather.
Indeed it is totally absurd. But can we 100% know that this is not possible simply because us higher-apes can not conceive of how such an idea would be possible?
I'm not sure. I'm very open lol. It seems 100% ridiculous.
But what if you buy into infinite universes and infinite parallel univeres and 11 (or possibly more undiscovered) dimensons etc?
Then could we still say this for 100% certain? Absolutely? And 100% KNOW this?
I'm not 100% absolutely sure about that. Nope. I'd like to hear a response by those who hold different views. I wonder if anyone agrees that its possible that even mathematics can't be 100% absolutely known for certain (as far as we know, lol).
I've met people who are de-facto (and never absolutest) on EVERYTHING except matematics. They 100% KNOW that absolutely for certain there is only one mathematics and no alternatives even including (or at least considering) infinite universes, other dimensions, parallel universes and a multiverse.
I'm not 100% absolute on this. I dont claim to know even this for certain.
Mathematics is probably proven more than anything else! Maybe even as much or more than the fact I believe myself exists.
But I do not worship that mathematics can be known above everything else to be the only way. I dunno. I'm VERY open minded I just try to always reject claims without evidence. To reject bullshit. I hope I'm not TOO open minded. As Dawkins says: Some people are so open minded their brains drop out.
Once again: I don't know absolutely about this. I don't think Tongue
Evf
I usually annoy theists when I say things like science and truth (implicitly absolute) have little to do with each other

Kyu
(December 12, 2008 at 3:07 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: I think most of us humans agree that we are not all-knowing beings. We are not gods ourselves. Still as it comes to religion, absolute statements fill the room, the blogosphere, books, debate. How can this be? How can it be that Daystar writes "The Word of God, though, is always right", as an absolute truth. Has he somehow acquired a state of all-knowingness, or is this an example of how the wish is father to the thought.

Just digressing slightly from the thread, Daystar makes a similar statement on another forum:

'The Bible isn't a science book but when it touches on subjects related to science it is correct.'

It is his inability to realise that if you are to make such a statement without backing it up with evidence, or proof, you will not be taken seriously.

Why does 'absolute' matter? In philosophical/relgious debates it appears, but in real life it doesn't seem to be that important. At the end of the day, we all decide what we 100% believe e.g I 100% believe I exist, I do not doubt this in any way, so to me my existence is absolute. It may not be to you, but it's how I perceive it that matters.
Am I talking gobaldy gook? Confused
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The absolute absurdity of God Cecelia 199 15942 August 19, 2018 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Perhaps none of us know the truth Transcended Dimensions 20 3726 March 10, 2018 at 8:01 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Why atheism cannot escape absolute truth Delicate 154 25589 November 5, 2015 at 9:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
Question Absolute Truth (I know, but I need some help) Spacetime 60 13215 October 3, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  General question about the possibility of objective moral truth Michael Wald 63 12708 September 15, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  what is "truth contest"? Yoplait 10 7980 June 22, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 64695 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal Truth? Tsun Tsu 29 9180 October 31, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Dawkins' Necker Cube, Physical Determinism, Cosmic Design, and Human Intelligence Mudhammam 0 1682 August 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3391 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626