Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide
Suicide
I've been pondering over the idea, I started by thinking over whether or not I had justifiable reason to do so. This lead me to question what counted as a justifiable reason. I've been trying to think of a philosophical argument for suicide. No, I am not planning to do something irreversible. 

The only idea of any substance is this, which I will pose as a question. 

Could it be considered a moral action to 'opt out'? That is, could it be said that refusing to be a part of this species is a moral action?
RE: Suicide
I'm not sure how suicide has any moral relevance at all.

(November 24, 2015 at 3:46 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: I've been pondering over the idea, I started by thinking over whether or not I had justifiable reason to do so. This lead me to question what counted as a justifiable reason. I've been trying to think of a philosophical argument for suicide. No, I am not planning to do something irreversible. 

The only idea of any substance is this, which I will pose as a question. 

Could it be considered a moral action to 'opt out'? That is, could it be said that refusing to take part is in some way a moral victory?

Considering that morals are pretty subjective, it's a little hard to form a concrete argument as to why suicide is morally incorrect, or describe a circumstance in which it would be a moral victory.

Objective "oughts" and "ought-nots" only arise once a person's goals are established, but by my own standards the best-case scenario for suicide is moral irrelevance, and that's only in far-fetched circumstances with a person that exists in a human vacuum, bereft of anyone who cares for him/her. In virtually every other circumstance, suicide inflicts enough human suffering for me to consider it morally reprehensible.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
I've spent most of the last 8 years evaluating suicide. The reason I haven't done it, the only reason most of the time, is the impact it would have on others. I considered my perceived benefit of not suffering anymore, and compared it to the upset me not being here would cause. I decided that just the damage I would do to my wife and my pets weighed in as much more significant, so I stuck it out. If I didn't have anyone who would have been affected, I would have most likely done it by now.

So to me, it is a question of morality. But I fully respect anyone's right and decision to commit suicide. No one should be forced to live if they don't want to.

I am in a better place now than I've been for the whole of that 8 years, and suicide appears much less often in my thoughts.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 24, 2015 at 4:04 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm not sure how suicide has any moral relevance at all.

Through the pain you usually inflict on your surroundings?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 24, 2015 at 4:22 am)Quantum Wrote:
(November 24, 2015 at 4:04 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm not sure how suicide has any moral relevance at all.

Through the pain you usually inflict on your surroundings?

Perhaps. But at this point relativism crops up; the hurt consider the act immoral, but the dead clearly have no opinion.

I think the OP, however, was addressing the morality of the act itself, rather than its repercussion. That is the sense in which I gave my answer.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have posted this to begin with. I realize now I'm trying to sort through something personal, as a topic of discussion it's nonsensical.
Any way we can help?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm having trouble with being an evil species, it's something I can't come to terms with.
We're not evil, though. Evil is a term we made up, and its definition is every bit as subjective as morality. We're also getting better over time, believe it or not. Violence in general has been on a steady decline around the globe for many years, and so have various other forms of unrest between humans. By percentage, we're more peaceful and forward-thinking than we have ever been as a species.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SUICIDE AND MORALITY Edwardo Piet 24 3298 December 13, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Suicide: An Ethical Delimna LivingNumbers6.626 108 15343 December 27, 2014 at 3:26 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Do we own our own lives? A discussion on the morality of suicide and voluntary slavery. Kirbmarc 36 14397 December 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: naimless