Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my point of view to "Pascal's wager"
my point of view to "Pascal's wager"
Hello all.
You all know about this philosophical apporoach. In brief, it says; if there is a god and you dont believe, you screwed. if there isnt and you believe there is nothing to lose..
well.. lets look little closer to that gambling thought;
first, we have two probability either god exist or not. we dont know any variable, so we have to accept that possibilies are %50 god exist %50 god doesn't exist.
okay, lets examine the possibility which god is exist,
there are millions of religions so there are millions of gods including fsm (we can say there might be infinite number of possible god which we are not informed) and each god make you impossible to believe any other god.(oh my god its like lottery.Smile )So believe to a god or dont believe, your chance to be screwed lasts. So how is that now mr Pascal? All bets are closed..
RE: my point of view to "Pascal's wager"
lol thats if you are choosing by luck or chance which will be really stupid.think about reading and comparing between different religions and scriptures
To believe in god because it's the safest thing to do is hardly a reason at all.

If there is a god isn't he going to say "your belief is not real" and condemn you to damnation anyway?

Much better IMHO to be true to yourself, everything will follow from there.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(June 22, 2010 at 3:05 am)mo3taz3nbar Wrote: lol thats if you are choosing by luck or chance which will be really stupid.think about reading and comparing between different religions and scriptures

well its just an answer to ones who use that logic in discussions. İf you want to discuss your religion based on your book. i can prove your god is a lie(and allah actually is a pagan god in origin and comes from el-illah) especially for islam. I have read quran(Kuran-ı kerim) several times and there are lots of mistakes and conflicts in it. Anyway you assume that the god is good. But he may be evil too. Actually if he exist he is likely to be evil. And an evil god can deceive us with wrongly written, illogical books and he may want us to believe anyway. So we cant really say 'its definitely wrong' for any religion..
(June 22, 2010 at 3:05 am)mo3taz3nbar Wrote: lol thats if you are choosing by luck or chance which will be really stupid.

Yes, obviously the correct choice is to believe the religion you were brought up in.

Quote:think about reading and comparing between different religions and scriptures

Why should anyone "compare between different religions"? I think "examine" or "study" would be a better word here. Saying "compare" makes it sound like you're deciding which one to buy. In other words, you've already made up your mind that a deity exists, and now you're just deciding which religion best matches your deity. To me, this is like "comparing" poisons and then deciding which one to drink.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(June 22, 2010 at 3:05 am)mo3taz3nbar Wrote: lol thats if you are choosing by luck or chance which will be really stupid.think about reading and comparing between different religions and scriptures

Because choosing which one sounds best to you totally ups your chances of getting it right.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

I've always preferred the Classical religions, personally. All hail Zeus!!

Oh wait, you mean "modern" religion? Well what exactly makes a "modern" religion any more valid than worshiping Norse or Greek gods? They have books too you know & the parables are much, much more interesting.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
I've always been amused by the fact that when xtians put Pascal's Wager forward as an actual argument that they cannot see that it makes their so-called "god" look like a total shmuck who is easily fooled.
I see your silly wager mo3tan3nbar and raise you this:
Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor, Last of the Five Good Emperors Wrote:Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.
Quote:If there are gods and they are just,

Therein lies the rub. Only pagans cared about justice. The angry desert god adherents do not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational. Nishant Xavier 59 3408 August 6, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35348 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 566 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 3935 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  Your point of living? joe90 82 10691 May 9, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why I'm an atheist, a point of confusion for many theists Asmodee 28 5489 December 21, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Blaise Pascal Lemonvariable72 3 1418 September 15, 2015 at 2:20 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Pascal's Wager Revisited datc 203 29656 April 13, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  What is the point of anything? Nell 42 8395 February 13, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  whats the point of this forum? christianteen 32 6763 December 25, 2014 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: bennyboy