Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone help me? I'm trying to open my mind to new ideas about Refugees
Can someone help me? I'm trying to open my mind to new ideas about Refugees
I am currently undecided about the refugee issue. On one hand I believe it's good to help people and have empathy for others. On the other hand I think that it's not our war, they're the ones at war here and we're making sacrifices to help them. Never the less, we're helping a bunch of Muslims. I'm putting myself in a vulnerable position here, but to be frank, I don't like Islam. I think it's a primitive, at times abhorrent culture. I want them to be in the middle east, out of civilized society. 

Like I said though, I am trying to open myself up to new ideas. I am willing to accept that taking refugees is a good idea. In fact, the reason I am asking you right now is because I see that a lot of people who share my same views believe in taking refugees. Atheists, liberals, my choice of candidate, Bernie Sanders. I see the way that the right wing, the side which I strongly oppose so many ways believes in the xenophobic, bigoted sounding things that I believe in. 

So, on ethos, I'm leaning towards pro refugee, pro islamic tolerance. I see an absence of evidence to believe that I should hold these views. On the pathos side, I feel a strong opposition to it. So I'm very conflicted on this issue and I'm opening myself up to new ideas. Thank you.
RE: Can someone help me? I'm trying to open my mind to new ideas about Refugees
White supremicists (sp) aren't refugees yet they terrorize innocents in this country all the time. In schools, churches and movie theaters.

Refugees coming to this country have to undergo two years worth of investigations and scrutiny before being allowed to live here.

But forget about all that for a second. Imagine youself, if you will, holding down a nice job. You have nice things and can afford to take your family nice places. You have a comfortable bed to sleep in as do your children. Now imagine that you wake up one day to find your neighborhood under attack by some people who tell your neighbor that if he doesn't bow down and worship their god and their ways, he will be killed. He refuses. The men shoot your neighbor.

You run back into your house, grab a backpack and fill it with some bread and two articles of clothing for you, your wife and your two kids. You also grab your cell phone and charger so that where ever you end up, you can at least call home. The backpack has to be light enough to carry in case you have to walk for days or weeks.

You get your wife, kids and backpack and flee to your parents house. They aren't there as the house has been blown apart. You find your mothers wedding ring attached to her finger but that is all of her you find. You gather your family and seek help through someone who says they can smuggle you out of the country but it will cost you all the money you have. You hope it's enough.
You and your family are put into a crowded boat after walking for over a week. Your children are hungry and your wife hasn't eaten for two days.
You soon come to a place where you are greeted by people who give you warm clothes, some with name brands on the labels. You are given food and a place to sleep.

You can't understand a word anyone speaks but you know you are safe. You go outside to get a cell phone signal when some people walk by and say some mean things to you. Your whole world has been turned upside down in a matter of a few weeks and all you want to do is call home to see if any of your relatives are still alive.

This could be us one day. How would you feel if you were rejected by a country based on the actions of other people from your country? You had nothing to do with their bombs and guns but you are being punished regardless. If we as a collective people do not start showing some compassion towards those fleeing from the terrorists in their own country, we cannot get upset if it happens to us and we are turned away.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
They're people. You help people.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
You're overthinking the wrong thing. Start thinking about the complex socioeconomic ramifications it will have upon the very societal structure of America and potentially the world;

"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Here's a "new idea" about refugees: the sooner we get innocent civilians out of Syria, the sooner we'll have a clear conscience about bombing the f*** out of whoever's left in that infected hemorrhoid of a country...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Okay, you all have a point. The people who are refugees are trying to escape the tyranny of their country. So they're probably the "peace loving muslims" everyone talks about. I do believe in background checks for them before they get into the country, I don't know how rigorous and fair those are, but I believe they're important none the less.
(November 28, 2015 at 4:53 pm)DespondentFishdeathMasochismo Wrote: On the other hand I think that it's not our war, they're the ones at war here and we're making sacrifices to help them. Never the less, we're helping a bunch

If it's not our war then why are we (the west) involved directly, with a bombing campaign, and indirectly, by supply arms and support to one of the protagonists.
If you break it you own it.

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(November 28, 2015 at 7:38 pm)pgrimes15 Wrote:
(November 28, 2015 at 4:53 pm)DespondentFishdeathMasochismo Wrote: On the other hand I think that it's not our war, they're the ones at war here and we're making sacrifices to help them. Never the less, we're helping a bunch

If it's not our war then why are we (the west) involved directly, with a bombing campaign, and indirectly, by supply arms and support to one of the protagonists.
If you break it you own it.

Grimesy

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the fact that we gave Syria weapons to defend themselves against terrorists, but they used them to start Isis. I've heard that story, I don't think it's fair to really say that we're responsible for ISIS's creation. As far as our involvement in the middle east, all I gotta say is ♫ america fuck yea! coming again to save the mother fucking day yeah! ♫

(November 28, 2015 at 4:53 pm)DespondentFishdeathMasochismo Wrote: I am currently undecided about the refugee issue. On one hand I believe it's good to help people and have empathy for others. On the other hand I think that it's not our war, they're the ones at war here and we're making sacrifices to help them. Never the less, we're helping a bunch of Muslims. I'm putting myself in a vulnerable position here, but to be frank, I don't like Islam. I think it's a primitive, at times abhorrent culture. I want them to be in the middle east, out of civilized society. 

Like I said though, I am trying to open myself up to new ideas. I am willing to accept that taking refugees is a good idea. In fact, the reason I am asking you right now is because I see that a lot of people who share my same views believe in taking refugees. Atheists, liberals, my choice of candidate, Bernie Sanders. I see the way that the right wing, the side which I strongly oppose so many ways believes in the xenophobic, bigoted sounding things that I believe in. 

So, on ethos, I'm leaning towards pro refugee, pro islamic tolerance. I see an absence of evidence to believe that I should hold these views. On the pathos side, I feel a strong opposition to it. So I'm very conflicted on this issue and I'm opening myself up to new ideas. Thank you.

We Americans have some responsibility for the current Syrian crisis insofar as we stoked the rebellion in 2011. We have an obligation to help those harmed by our policy, I think.

And aside from that consideration, I think it's the decent thing to do to help another person in need. Refusing to do so because they don't share my outlook or lack of faith does not comport with my idea of humane assistance.

Many of you have very strange notions of what Syrians are like on average. You seem to imagine them mostly as some form of less than human and primitive uneducated troglodyte taliban with worse than medieval mindsets. Weird. Well, I guess most of you have never seen one or talked to one Tongue
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Open Discussion on Russian Identity Leonardo17 10 878 December 4, 2023 at 11:54 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are conservatives in this country trying to turn 'Murica into Nazi Germany? Foxaèr 11 1384 May 6, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are Christians trying to turn US into a theocracy? Fake Messiah 11 731 October 8, 2020 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  An Open Letter to Congress Secular Elf 14 931 March 4, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Open borders onlinebiker 263 14571 August 14, 2019 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Someone Explain This 'Shutdown' to Me? Jade-Green Stone 62 5214 January 22, 2019 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Stop trying to reason with Trump supporters GODZILLA 21 2386 January 20, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Going to a Protest and I Need Sign Ideas Seraphina 8 753 June 26, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Can someone please explain the difference? Losty 12 1219 June 26, 2018 at 12:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The WLB Just Can't Help Himself Minimalist 6 996 June 9, 2018 at 5:03 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb