Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wondrous times, less wonder.
Wondrous times, less wonder.
What would be considered nowadays to be a revolutionary breakthrough in science?

I ask this because we live in such an age of constant expanding in so many areas of knowledge that it seems as if nothing will ever take us by surprise or be so great that is wondered at across the board.

Do refer to what is plausibly expected to happen or be discovered in the future, if you know of such things that are theorised to be expected(e.g. Singularity because of Moore's Law), but don't hold back your own assumptions either. Let your imaginations run wild, for all intents and purposes.

P.S.
This is an open ended question about what you may expect from the near or far future(as you like). It's not one to discuss past accomplishments. Or at least not intended as such in its main thrust.
RE: Wondrous times, less wonder.
Hmmm.

Room-temperature superconducting springs to mind. As does true cold fusion. Anything on that level and upwards :3
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Single stage to orbit, with a single engine type running from takeoff to orbital insertion.

Coast to coast 100MB/second internet in the US (that's still slower than the average in South Korea, right ?)

Cheap, easy 100% HIV cure/eradication

Windfarms that produce a liquid fuel instead of electricity.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 1, 2015 at 5:58 pm)Kaiser Wrote: Hmmm.

Room-temperature superconducting springs to mind. As does true cold fusion. Anything on that level and upwards :3

Hmm.

Why on that level and upwards?
Creatards coming to their senses would do it for me.

I like to set the bar low....gives it a chance of happening.
(December 1, 2015 at 6:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Creatards coming to their senses would do it for me.

I like to set the bar low....gives it a chance of happening.

I think we'll move to Mars before that happens.
Life outside of earth

The ability to construct viable organisms via their DNA starting from scratch

Discovering the nature of Dark Matter

Finally have a nice direct observation of gravitational waves
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If we find life outside of earth and i mean bacteria of any sort that will mark the end of well bronze age religion as we know it
and something more reasonable will come a long.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 1, 2015 at 6:56 pm)dyresand Wrote: If we find life outside of earth and i mean bacteria of any sort that will mark the end of well bronze age religion as we know it
and something more reasonable will come a long.

What makes you so sure? The devil will be planting that evidence, don't you know?
Yeah, it will usher in a completely new age of bs apologetics
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Once, Twice, 20 Times a solar system. Brian37 1 312 November 28, 2020 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why are there significantly less women in S.T.E.M fields, what we can do to help ErGingerbreadMandude 32 4762 December 31, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Homo Just Became Less Special Minimalist 36 6851 October 23, 2015 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Earth may have underground 'ocean' three times that on surface TubbyTubby 69 9112 June 29, 2014 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  No Wonder American Kids Are Fucked Minimalist 11 2919 January 16, 2014 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: ElleBelle
  Science vs Wonder thesummerqueen 1 1168 December 15, 2011 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor