Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 9:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Amazon Kindle Good for the Environment?
Is Amazon Kindle Good for the Environment?
I recently bought a Kindle and a minor reason I chose to buy it was because it is better for the environment. However, I'm not suer if the Kindle truly is better for the environment. I've been investigating this claim on the webs and have found conflicting information. According to a study carried out by the Clean Tech Group(source), the Kindle is better for the environment than paper books.
[Image: kindleenvironmentalreport2.jpg?w=472&h=301]

but I also read some interesting comments that need to be taken into consideration
Quote:There is nothing green about this. Miniature digital technology (cell phones lap tops ipods, kindles) causes slavery and massive deforestation in the DRC. Google “cell phone DRC” if you don’t believe me.

Comment by Richard — March 11, 2009 @ 3:21 pm
Quote:Marco, on May 30, 2009 at 10:31 am Said:
I have to say, I’m a bit skeptical: My books will stay on their shelves for 50 years and then, with luck, will belong to someone else. I already get my newspapers online and the occasional one I pick up at the newsstand is recycled. The Kindle is 100-percent petroleum and will end up breaking down in two or three years. Not sure how anyone could unequivocally argue that a Kindle is greener than a book…
Quote:Shawn, on February 22, 2010 at 9:43 am Said:
The carbon footprint generated by servers, storage devices, PCs, etc. is quite large. In fact, a Swedish study claims that the envinronmental impact of reading news online for more than 30 minutes a day has more impact than one year of consumption of a printed newspaper. Who woulda thunk it?
The study concluded that the use of electronic media over printed material trades a renewable resource (trees) for a nonrenewable one (fossil fuels used in energy production).
Do you think the Kindle is better for the environment? Why or why not?
RE: Is Amazon Kindle Good for the Environment?
Better for the environment than books on paper? No. Books on paper, as the comment above says, are passed around for long periods of time. Even when they do get 'thrown away'... they are PAPER.

Digital technology is not environmentally friendly for several reasons. You have to pick your battles in the efforts to help the earth.
RE: Is Amazon Kindle Good for the Environment?
It may be a bit late for the battle, when we have lost the War. Our ever increasing expansion has overtaken our intelligence. SO, just make as much money as you can. Really though, do you thonk there is much hope for a sustainable future? You know, who wants to give up their life style for the environment, or even pay for it? I can sit here and say all this, but I don't want to give up my computer, car, fast food, gym or anything else. But, it will all be ok. Okay!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon Drone The_Thinking_Theist 21 3551 December 7, 2013 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: The_Thinking_Theist
  kindle fire hd versus nexus 7 popeyespappy 3 1331 October 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope