Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marriage Surnames
Marriage Surnames
What are everyone's views on marriage surnames, i.e. which person takes the other person's name when getting married, or do you double-barrel or even invent an entirely new surname for both people?

I ask because once all my immigration stuff goes through, I'm planning on changing my surname to my wife's maiden name, for no particular reason other than I happen to like her surname more than my own, and I'm always a fan of breaking with tradition when there's no real reason for the tradition.

My wife's female cousin just got married to her wife, and they decided to take the wife's name. I guess it works the same for men marrying men? Either way, it would be interesting to know what people think, whether you know people who did non-traditional things with their surnames after marrying.
RE: Marriage Surnames
Not a big deal for me either way. However, I do regret that my wife still has her ex-husband's last name. Purely practical of course. She has a name and reputation as an artist under that name, why fuck with it? I'd say if you like her last name better go with it. Does Shell feel the same way, I mean, in liking it better?
I told my wife I didn't expect her to take my name, but she wanted to anyway. I can see the convenience of having the same surname, although always taking the bloke's one as a matter of course makes no sense to me.

Everyone I know has done the standard deal, I think.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I guess tradition really, but no practical reason other than "that's how its been done". I can see in professional senses when a spouse has an established name as WTW's wife for example. My wife took my name, but I wouldn't have been offended if she decided to keep hers.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
I don't see anything wrong with either method - In my country the tradition is for the wife to keep the spouse's name, but you can do as you please. I think the husband can take the name as well, but I'm not 100% certain. I'm indifferent to it but my girlfriend wants to keep my name if we ever get married. She's into a lot of traditionalist stuff. I don't mind it.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I like the idea of going with your wife's because you like it better. I see no issue with that. I think it's awesome!
As far as no reason that a wife always takes the husband's name as a tradition? There are a couple of reasons for that, imho.
I'm no expert on anything, but one is for the archaic purpose to show ownership in a weird way, from ages ago. (I'm only assuming here and could be talking out my ass)
The other reason, and I kind of go along with this one, is that family lines traditionally have followed by the males name. That is how we have traditionally tracked families and blood lines. Now that same sex marriage is legal I see this tradition changing over time. It has been for the male offspring to carry the name into the future. I think people of "importance" this is a big deal to them. The rest of us, meh.
I'm mostly commenting because in 1967, it was a big deal still. My mom was unwed and pregnant with me, a good fiend of hers offered to marry her to "give me a name". It was that important to him that she and I didn't carry that "Shame".
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
My last name is a portmanteau of my biological parents surnames. I ammore of a fan of taking the male surname, but maybe having the female surname as a middle name. Secondary to that, I do like hyphenation. I jut don't like not having that family connection, so I don't like the portmanteau route.

The other extreme is a prep school soccer player in Pennsylvania back in the mid-'00s that had a double-hyphenated surname. I forget his name, but it would be like "Jake Fiorello-McCabe-Maxwell."
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I once thought about how cool it would be to change my name to Pyramid Head. It would have been interesting to see if it affected my job, which included answering calls from the public at the time.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 2, 2015 at 12:10 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: Not a big deal for me either way. However, I do regret that my wife still has her ex-husband's last name. Purely practical of course. She has a name and reputation as an artist under that name, why fuck with it? I'd say if you like her last name better go with it. Does Shell feel the same way, I mean, in liking it better?

Shell doesn't mind either way. She also currently has her ex-husbands last name, but she writes under her maiden name. If you regret that your wife still has her ex-husbands name, why don't you suggest she change her last name officially, but use her old name as a pseudonym when doing her art?
George Carlin did a bit on this where he said "Pick a name!"

You have.

George will be happy.

Big Grin 

(or would be if he wasn't dead.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great marriage advice. Jehanne 52 12813 April 22, 2017 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: Crunchy
  Do you believe in Marriage? ErGingerbreadMandude 61 6782 November 1, 2015 at 4:20 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Marriage is a man and a woman living together rado84 46 7819 July 18, 2015 at 7:48 am
Last Post: abaris
  marriage Phatt Matt s 64 7934 April 12, 2014 at 12:51 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Gay marriage passes in England and Wales! Big Blue Sky 32 10713 June 4, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Right-wing writer kills himself after marriage equality passes Big Blue Sky 11 2916 May 28, 2013 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: dazzn
  Marriage outdated? Tea Earl Grey Hot 25 7005 May 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Snaghobaa
  NFL player supports gay marriage. Brian37 6 3646 September 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Atheist Marriage Rhizomorph13 22 6164 May 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Marriage - Conservapedia entry reverendjeremiah 13 3683 May 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist