Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Matter be Created or Destroyed?
Can Matter be Created or Destroyed?
I’m reading about a process of matter creation called pair production in which a boson, such as a photon, interacts with a heavy nucleus, such as lead or uranium, and splits to form a fermion, such as an electro, and its antiparticle, such as a positron.

Now all my life I’ve been told that scientist say that matter cannot be destroyed or created. I wonder did scientist really used to say that based on limited knowledge, and now with new technology they have discovered that it can be destroyed (annihilated when a particle collides with its antiparticle and produces gamma rays). Or did theists say scientists said that so they could have straw man to knock down?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Can Matter be Created or Destroyed?
The wonderful thing about science is that if they find new information that discredits old information, they will change what they believe. I've heard matter can't be created or destroyed too, but I've also heard that particles pop in and out of existence from time to time. The universe is still a mysterious place to explore.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

According to Wikipedia:

"In order for pair production to occur, the incoming energy of the interaction must be above a threshold in order to create the pair – at least the total rest mass energy of the two particles – and that the situation allows both energy and momentum to be conserved."

As far as I understand it, you can neither create / destroy matter or energy, but you can change matter into energy and vice versa, though in most cases you lose energy overall when doing so. It's not strictly "creating" anything. Neither is annihilating a particle strictly "destroying" it, as you said yourself, it creates gamma rays, which is a form of energy.
Wait, I thought it was "energy" that couldn't be created or destroyed but only change form
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(December 2, 2015 at 2:41 pm)Chad32 Wrote: The wonderful thing about science is that if they find new information that discredits old information, they will change what they believe. I've heard matter can't be created or destroyed too, but I've also heard that particles pop in and out of existence from time to time. The universe is still a mysterious place to explore.

Gee, and all this time, I thought I was just mislaying my cell phone. How is it I always end up in apartments that have a portal to a parallel universe?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(December 2, 2015 at 2:43 pm)Tiberius Wrote: According to Wikipedia:

"In order for pair production to occur, the incoming energy of the interaction must be above a threshold in order to create the pair – at least the total rest mass energy of the two particles – and that the situation allows both energy and momentum to be conserved."

As far as I understand it, you can neither create / destroy matter or energy, but you can change matter into energy and vice versa, though in most cases you lose energy overall when doing so. It's not strictly "creating" anything. Neither is annihilating a particle strictly "destroying" it, as you said yourself, it creates gamma rays, which is a form of energy.

Precisely!

--Voltaire

(December 2, 2015 at 2:49 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Wait, I thought it was "energy" that couldn't be created or destroyed but only change form

Apparently, it's a cycle. Neither can be created or destroyed.

--Voltaire

Energy can be converted into matter and matter into energy that's what E=MC^2 means, but the total mass/energy will stay the same
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(December 2, 2015 at 3:42 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Apparently, it's a cycle. Neither can be created or destroyed.

Menstrual or motor? (hilk, hilk)

How about the word transformed?

Tibs, how do you "loose energy"? My understanding is that it may take a higher amount of energy to make the transformation to the end product. It's just that the end product does not contain all the initial energy. In a closed system the total amount of energy would still exist, just not necessarily in the transformed product. If course I could be wrong, ain't no ricket scientwist.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Mass is simply the measure of how much energy of any form is contained in an object (*). Energy is conserved at short time spans, but can be converted and in particular, energy which appears as mass, can be freed from its confines and converted into other types. However, cosmic expansion removes energy from the universe via the redshift.

(*) This holds always. For example, a spring under tension has more mass than a relaxed one, precisely differing by the stored energy divided by c^2
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark matter vs. MOND LinuxGal 3 531 August 23, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2470 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Origin of Matter RedSox 50 18539 June 13, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Anti-Matter at CERN chimp3 24 3378 December 21, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 6021 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Could this explian what Dark matter and Dark energy is? Blueyedlion 49 7182 June 13, 2016 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel? Ari Sheffield 52 10642 March 24, 2016 at 5:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Does Dark Matter give merit to the Bible? wolfclan96 29 7572 March 19, 2015 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Matter from light - WTF? max-greece 10 2940 July 14, 2014 at 6:16 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Can Dark Matter be the energy source of the future - a rough estimate Alex K 2 1684 March 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Alex K