Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Moral Argument for God
The Moral Argument for God
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this discussion, but here goes...

I've been looking at arguments for and against the existence of a "supreme being", and I'm focused on the moral argument at the moment. There are numerous versions, but a simple wording of it looks like this:

1. If objective moral values and duties do not exist, then God does not exist.
2. Objective moral values and duties do exist.
3. Therefore, God exists.

The logic of the argument is solid, so any disagreement must involve the definitions of the terms, one or more of the two premises themselves (of course), or both.

So, what do you think about this argument, and how would you go about dismantling it?

Thanks.
RE: The Moral Argument for God
You'll have to start by phrasing it as a valid syllogism, because that one is something like:

If !P then !Q
P
Therefore Q
The logic of the argument is not solid because if the three points you cited above can good enough proof of the existence of a god then I give you this:

1. If objective moral values and duties do not exist, then ironman does not exist.
2.Objective moral values and duties do exist.
3. Therefore, ironman exists.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
The moral argument is a common one. One of the major flaws is that people think morals can come from anyone, and still be objective. If they come from god, they're subjective. That's what subjective means. If they're objective, they don't come from any one/three individual(s), and thus we don't need a god for our morals. If morals come from god, they're as subjective as anyone else's opinion of morals.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The more standard way of stating the moral argument is:

1. If there are objective moral values then God exists.
2. There are objective moral values.

The problem with this argument is:

Depending on the definition of "moral", objective moral values may not exist. Some people seem to think it is moral to decapitate people that are not members of their religion. 

Also, there are definitions for "morality", and moral philosophies, where objective moral values may exist without a god, just not in the way theists speak of moral values. 

See: consequentialism. 

Also Sam Harris' book, The Moral Landscape. And Matt Dilahunty's lecture called "The superiority of secular morality", which can be found via google.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(December 3, 2015 at 6:29 pm)Chad32 Wrote: The moral argument is a common one. One of the major flaws is that people think morals can come from anyone, and still be objective. If they come from god, they're subjective. That's what subjective means. If they're objective, they don't come from any one/three individual(s), and thus we don't need a god for our morals. If morals come from god, they're as subjective as anyone else's opinion of morals.

Good old Euthyphro's dilemma.

"Is that which is good commanded by God because it's good, or is it good because God commands it?"

If the first horn of the dilemma is true, then the god is not the author of morality, but just the communicator of morality. And therefore, we could discover it on our own.

If the second horn is true, then morality is not objective, but subjective to the god's will. There is nothing stopping such a god from changing his mind tomorrow on what is moral and immoral. 

Some theists will state at this point, "but that would be against the god's nature".  Which does not help their argument, it only moves the problem back a step.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I'm a moral (subjectively) person who does not receive guidance from a fantasy delusion.

The others have debunked the argument. I don't argue with fantasy delusions.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 3, 2015 at 6:18 pm)athrock Wrote: I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this discussion, but here goes...

I've been looking at arguments for and against the existence of a "supreme being", and I'm focused on the moral argument at the moment. There are numerous versions, but a simple wording of it looks like this:

1. If objective moral values and duties do not exist, then God does not exist.
2. Objective moral values and duties do exist.

The logic of the argument is solid, so any disagreement must involve the definitions of the terms, one or more of the two premises themselves (of course), or both.

So, what do you think about this argument, and how would you go about dismantling it?

Thanks.

If horns do not exist, then unicorns do not exist.
Horns exist.
Therefore unicorns exist.

Ignoring that, morality is not objective.
I do not think it is a serious apologetic argument. At best it is an appeal to consequences, as in Dostoevsky's "If God does not exist then anything is permissible." If someone, an atheist perhaps, thinks that anything actually is permissible then he has no reason to look for a source of moral absolutes. The problem is when unbelievers want to have their cake and eat it too.
OP, please explain how the first item is true. I don't see how morality hinges upon a supreme being.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7845 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12656 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1819 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15521 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How to easily defeat any argument for God Tom Fearnley 629 33332 November 22, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Religion stifles Moral Evolution Cecelia 107 15268 December 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2415 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Creationist Moral Panic Amarok 15 5608 June 13, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  General question about the possibility of objective moral truth Michael Wald 63 12709 September 15, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  A potential argument for existence of God TheMuslim 28 4306 June 18, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Cephus