Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Atheists defend Islam?
Why do Atheists defend Islam?
Why is it that when one criticizes Islam, and criticizes the extremists of Islam and points to their religion as being, in part, responsible for such behavior, that it is Atheists who will come in rushing to defend the religion? 

Many Atheists will be the first to point out the ills of Christianity, what it is doing to American culture and who it is oppressing. However, when someone points to Islam and the oppression that happens under Sharia Law, or the behaviors of those who follow the religion, the statistics saying close to 80% of western Muslims support putting you in prison for drawing a picture, many Atheists will call you a racist, a bigot, an Islamaphobe, and basically just shut down the conversation by spouting those accusations rather than actually addressing, or even acknowledging the criticisms. There's a massive double standard in much of the Atheist community about this right now, and I think it's time Atheists start to address them.

Inb4 not all Muslims, that is an irrelevant statement. There are enough Muslims behaving this way to cause a real problem, and just downplaying it or ignoring it won't make these problems go away. Yes there are millions of Muslims that just want to be left alone to subjugate their women in peace. There are even moderates that speak out against Terrorists, some even political leaders. This much is true.

Let us take a look at a rather moderate Muslim country, Turkey. It's technically secular and has many of the freedoms western countries have, technically. However, if you drink on Ramadan, you're likely to get the snot beaten out of you, as one of my friends from Turkey was along with his friends. The country in recent years has also started to be more religious in its policies. Banning cigarettes, taking away rights for gays, etc. If this is the greatest country that Muslims are capable of creating, I'm not impressed. Only about 30% of the country voted for a more secular leader. The majority support Sharia Law. The 30% that don't are the people in cities, educated by English schools. 

This is all information from a friend that was born and raised in Turkey. He's agnostic, doesn't like the word atheist (yeah, one of those) and so this might be all hearsay and anecdotal, but I tend to take experiences of people from such countries with as much credibility as statistics and etc., especially one as levelheaded and logical about the issue as this guy.

Inb4 you're a racist islamaphobe bigot, Islam isn't a race, it's an ideology. Something you can convert to is not a race, and stating objective facts is not bigotry. Islamaphobia is a word made by fascists used by cowards to manipulate morons.
RE: Why do Atheists defend Islam?
Um...When has this happened exactly?
And when has anybody defended ex. ISIS, on this forum?
Fuck Islam.  Fuck Allah.  Fuck Mohammed.

Does that make you feel better?
And there you have it. Like so many, you make no distinction between muslim and Islam. The first are people, the latter a religion. I'm certainly not defending Islam. I don't defend christianity or judaism either. But I certainly don't bash everyone belonging to a religious group, just because of their believes. That's why I always say my piece if someone makes blanket statements about any group.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Turkey at the moment is under the grip of a pro-islamist dictator. Erdrogan has been slowly eroding Ataturk's secular Turkey for years.

Most of my Turkish friends are dismayed at what is happening there. All bar one are Muslim.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Have you got any examples of atheists defending Islam that we can examine? Or are we to take your word for it?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I don't defend Islam.

I believe it is currently the most dangerous dogma on the planet.

The Koran is loaded with bad ideas, that if followed, lead to bad actions.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Hate the game, not the player.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
That depends on what the player is doing.

[Image: David-Cawthorne-Haines.jpg]
(December 4, 2015 at 4:56 pm)abaris Wrote: And there you have it. Like so many, you make no distinction between muslim and Islam. The first are people, the latter a religion. I'm certainly not defending Islam. I don't defend christianity or judaism either. But I certainly don't bash everyone belonging to a religious group, just because of their believes. That's why I always say my piece if someone makes blanket statements about any group.

That's like saying that there's a distinction between America and Americans. Yes, America is the abstract concept of nation state situated in north America with X territory, but it is made up by Americans and without them there would be no USA like we know today. Saying that we need to distinguish between Islam and Muslims is like saying we should distinguish between Hitler and Nazism.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why do I say that Islam is an evil religion? Eclectic 85 7259 November 8, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7729 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  This is why islam is vomitously evil. Brakeman 41 4889 January 21, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Why homosexuality is forbidden in islam huss88ein 133 16145 July 20, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam? hilary 16 4383 July 20, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5420 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Why do politicians apologise for islam? lifesagift 21 4487 October 14, 2014 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Atheists: Islam = not peaceful because... Muslims: *Obfuscation and equivocation* Mudhammam 0 1361 March 2, 2014 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  If Islam is a religion of peace why did it expand through military conquests? Sword of Christ 55 18147 February 26, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Ex muslims challenge atheists to face Islam Richi1 5 3090 December 29, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist