Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are there no help hotlines for bullies?
Why are there no help hotlines for bullies?
I mean there are so many hotlines, help websites, and things for victims of bullying.

Obviously bullying has been a problem for a long time, and still is a problem. However, it made me a bit sick to realize there is hardly any help for the bullies.

I'm not saying bullying is justified, or anything. I am not trying to bring light to a terrible situation. So don't take it that way.

However, all this time we have been trying to fight fire with fire. Whenever a bullying case comes up what do we do? We bully the kid that was bullying, we tell him how terrible a person he is, disgrace him, kick him out of schools, etc.

But, isn't the person doing the bullying the person with the real problems? I'm not saying the victim might have not developed problems due to the attacks, but that does not happen in every case, however we do know that what does happen in every case is that the bully is using the victim as an outlet to subconsciously deal with the problems they are facing. This can be everything from parents getting divorced, being made fun of as a child, or it can be preconceived ideas that are problematic and cause them to lash out [I.E Bullying based on someone's sexuality]

We have tried to fight bullying by doing the same exact thing every time, helping the victim, outcasting the bully. Really though, we should help both the victim and the bully. I mean, a bully is not going to have any friends he can open up to will he? I mean sure they may be popular, but they've built up this character that they now feel as though defines them. They  can't open up to any of the friends they have, at least not in most cases.

So to conclude, if bullying hotline's are for victims to talk to people in a private format, there should be the same treatment for bullies. Because let's face it, the bully has just as much issues, if not more than the victim, that need resolving, and right now and for years no one's been able to look past their despicable actions enough to realize the underlying cause of the conflicts in the first place.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Why are there no help hotlines for bullies?
I think that's an excellent point. We have such a tendency to demonize certain people in our society without fully knowing the situation. I think bullies are often the victims of past or current abuse themselves and bullying is a tendency to regain power that they lack elsewhere. I've seen it on these boards even, when someone said they were being bullied by a co-worker and everyone's response was pretty much 'she sounds like a bitch' without thinking about what causes a person to bully. There should be helplines and this is an excellent post.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I don't disagree with any of this. However it would need to be handled carefully.
A certain level of sternness is required. It can't simply be a get out of jail free card.
It would be quite the balancing act and considering what I've seen of our societies skill at policy making I would wager we would get surrounded by alot of broken plates.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
I could only imagine.....
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Unfortunately, the bully would have to admit that this is what they are. Sadly, denial happens. No one really knows what goes on inside the heads of bullies to truly understand why they do the things they do. And actually, there are anger management programs that could possibly help. But that crucial first step is in getting the bully to admit that he is one and then further convince them that they need help.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
If bullies possessed the self-awareness to recognize that they have issues they probably wouldn't be bullies.
Interesting perspective. I've always had deep hatred for bullying. It's hard to see the bully as a person with his or her own struggles.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 4, 2015 at 11:42 pm)Judi Lynn Wrote: Unfortunately, the bully would have to admit that this is what they are. Sadly, denial happens. No one really knows what goes on inside the heads of bullies to truly understand why they do the things they do. And actually, there are anger management programs that could possibly help. But that crucial first step is in getting the bully to admit that he is one and then further convince them that they need help.
Is that not the same with the victim?

Nobody want's to admit they have a fault. No one wants to come out and say they are getting bullied, just as much as being the bullier.

There are lots of things that "Getting the person to admit" applies to, and all of them have already brainstormed and come up with various ways whether additions to advertisements, or any addition really to whatever service they're providing. That's where the whole phrase "You are not alone" applies to.

Also do you think anyone wants to get counseling? That would involve admitting to parents about what you are doing, and neither parties in question want to do that. That's the entire reason for anonymous hotline's, to get help on something you don't want anyone to know you're struggling with.

And either way, that's no reason to disregard the idea, there are definitely measures and steps that can be taken in order to increase the persons chance of admitting to themself.
Or maybe they don't even admit it. Maybe we make it manditory that schools gather each kid every year and put them in an enclosed room with a phone, and they are required to talk to a person who's an expert in this, and they can detect what this person's like, because they will probably have a warped perception of them self to begin with. And if someone's a candidate, we don't need people coming down on them, we need people to treat this as they would an abuse case, bully case, etc. we need people to carefully and methodically coax them in to it, and tell them to do, or ask them for small things. That can be as little as if the "expert" thinks this person fits the description as saying "I'd love to know more, can you talk to me again?", and slowly be able to learn more and more about the situation, and slowly help them or get them to change. It works in many other area's in which people have trouble admitting faults like this.
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
(December 4, 2015 at 11:44 pm)Thena323 Wrote: If bullies possessed the self-awareness to recognize that they have issues they probably wouldn't be bullies.
Yes, and if a victim of bullying possessed the self-awareness and emotional stability to recognize that they have issues they probably wouldn't be victims, and would get help.

Yet somehow, these people get coaxed in to realizing the situation regardless of these facts.

See my response to Judi.
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 

I am willing to administer as many dope slaps to the head as needed to end the problem of bullying.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 776 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 970 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why is there no Puerto Rico thread Alex K 93 27869 October 11, 2017 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why are there more crazies these days? ignoramus 24 6941 June 1, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Why isn't there a fight against unhealthy food like is for drugs? NuclearEnergy 22 5347 May 25, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Isis
  Why are there so many creeps on the internet? NuclearEnergy 52 11967 May 25, 2017 at 6:52 am
Last Post: eggie
  Why would God do this to me when it would help him TorchWOULD_or_WOULDNT 55 6335 February 20, 2015 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Norman Humann