Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday traditions?
Holiday traditions?
I was wondering what other atheists do around the holidays that are considered traditional?

For example I always have gingerbread and fruitcake for Christmas and always watch A Christmas Carol during the holiday season. Any other traditions held by fellow atheists on a religious holiday season?
RE: Holiday traditions?
I do not celebrate the holidays.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 5, 2015 at 7:45 pm)Kitan Wrote: I do not celebrate the holidays.

I guess if you *never* celebrate, we can count it as a tradition...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Bake various traditional christmas pastries (a kind of sweat bread with fruits and spices for example), put up a traditional tree and lights, listen to Bach's Christmas oratorio. We have "advent calendars" with smsll sweets counting the days of december 1-24, advent wreaths with four candles for counting the four sundays before Christmas.I suspect the latter is a typically German tradition?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Sloth

Greed

Gluttony

Wrath

Pride

Lust

Envy
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

We get a live tree each year the first week of December. The kids help me bake christmas cookies. We pull out home movies as well as any christmas movies on DVD we have. One of my favorite things is taking the kids to the store for them to each pick out a new ornament. When they get old enough and all get married off, they will each receive a box. In it will be all of the ornaments they have picked out over the years plus a few from their great-grandmother that have been passed down to me. My grandmother handmade ornaments that were very complicated with beadwork, fringes etc. I have taken special care of them and will follow the tradition of passing them down to the kids. 

I also make homemade hot chocolate and put it in the crock pot to keep it warm. 

I make a traditional dinner of ham, lasagna, Italian green beans, salad, rolls etc. I usually have a bottle of red wine while the kids have sparkling grape juice.  

Once January 2nd hits, the rest of the season feels like a cold, wet, gray time of yuck. 

That's how a typical December goes for us. Obviously, things are not going to happen in quite that way, this year, but we will still have our dinner and I may put up some lights.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spreading Holiday Jeer. Gawdzilla Sama 0 302 October 15, 2023 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Holiday Greetings Lek 16 1590 December 25, 2022 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Holiday Wish-Lists Athene 0 459 November 11, 2019 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Athene
  It's time for a holiday song thread. brewer 26 2206 December 2, 2018 at 6:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Holiday mash-ups? Gawdzilla Sama 5 343 February 18, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christmas Traditions You Want to Share? Shell B 46 4486 December 20, 2017 at 3:44 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The U.S. Virgin Islands Will Pay You US$300 If You Holiday There In 2017 ReptilianPeon 0 573 January 28, 2017 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  How was your holiday? BrokenQuill92 10 938 December 6, 2016 at 11:00 am
Last Post: c172
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2143 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  A Holiday for Atheism Rhondazvous 18 2905 December 28, 2015 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen