Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how do you deal with your atheism around the holidays
So how do you deal with your atheism around the holidays
My family is religious and every Christmas Eve we have our entire family over. My sister and my other sisters family of 3 kids and her husband and my other two brothers. We tend to have a nice dinner of the best clam chowder ever. We then go and each open one present each that's under the tree. However, before this my Dad will always read that Christmas story in Luke 2..I think that's where it is. And the last 2 years I just think in my head "Wow, this all sounds like such bullshit". lol Of course I don't say that, but you get what I mean. 

ALSO: Why did Christianity hijack Christmas and claim it as their own holiday? I've read that it was originally a Pagan holiday.
RE: So how do you deal with your atheism around the holidays
Luckily, almost my entire family is atheist, or at least secular. I've never known what it's like growing up in a religious house, but I imagine it involves a lot of forced smiling and gritted teeth, especially this time of year.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I try to focus on the food and gifts and OOOOH IT'S SNOWING
I try to just enjoy the holidays.

If a family member brings up religion, especially in an attempt to push it on others, then the arguments start.
Dying to live, living to die.
We have Christmas at our house. Everyone knows we are atheists. And since it's our house we don't have to deal with that shit.
I tune out the religious claptrap, not that there's much at all at our celebrations.

I usually order the slaughter of all infant males within a couple hundred miles of where I live.

When nothing comes of that, I settle for exchanging gifts and overeating.
Ironically, Christmas is the time of year that I hear the least about Jesus from the Christians I know. It's mostly about the weather, the best place to buy a holiday ham, and 3-day at sales at Macy's (or wherever) from late November to the beginning of January.
(December 6, 2015 at 2:35 pm)godzilla_22 Wrote: My family is religious and every Christmas Eve we have our entire family over. My sister and my other sisters family of 3 kids and her husband and my other two brothers. We tend to have a nice dinner of the best clam chowder ever. We then go and each open one present each that's under the tree. However, before this my Dad will always read that Christmas story in Luke 2..I think that's where it is. And the last 2 years I just think in my head "Wow, this all sounds like such bullshit". lol Of course I don't say that, but you get what I mean. 

ALSO: Why did Christianity hijack Christmas and claim it as their own holiday? I've read that it was originally a Pagan holiday.

The Roman Saturnalia, as well as winter solstice celebrations, existed throughout the world.  Somebody decided that Jesus' bday needed celebrating, and decided that Saturnalia (which meant all sorts of celebrating that was decidedly NON-xtian!) would be a good day to spend in church.  It evolved from there.  
Jeremiah 10: 3-4 even advises the Jews to NOT cut down trees and decorate them.   That was between 626 and 527BC.  Solstice celebrations have been in existence a long time, and the xmas tree predates xtianity by at least 500 years.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(December 6, 2015 at 2:35 pm)godzilla_22 Wrote: My family is religious and every Christmas Eve we have our entire family over. My sister and my other sisters family of 3 kids and her husband and my other two brothers. We tend to have a nice dinner of the best clam chowder ever. We then go and each open one present each that's under the tree. However, before this my Dad will always read that Christmas story in Luke 2..I think that's where it is. And the last 2 years I just think in my head "Wow, this all sounds like such bullshit". lol Of course I don't say that, but you get what I mean. 

You're family is a way more religious than mine ever was. The most my family every did was put up a little nativity as part of the decorations. So as for how I deal with my atheism around Christmas, I don't really see anything much that needs to be dealt with. In fact, this year my family is doing Christmas two weeks early because that's when my sister will be home to celebrate with us, and the extended family is doing the big sit-down dinner the day after because my cousin's ex-wife is a vicious bitch who decided that my cousin won't get his boys on Christmas day after all, even tho that's been the arrangement all along...

Ah, family dynamics...

Quote:ALSO: Why did Christianity hijack Christmas and claim it as their own holiday? I've read that it was originally a Pagan holiday.
(December 6, 2015 at 3:35 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: The Roman Saturnalia, as well as winter solstice celebrations, existed throughout the world.  Somebody decided that Jesus' bday needed celebrating, and decided that Saturnalia (which meant all sorts of celebrating that was decidedly NON-xtian!) would be a good day to spend in church.  It evolved from there.  
Jeremiah 10: 3-4 even advises the Jews to NOT cut down trees and decorate them.   That was between 626 and 527BC.  Solstice celebrations have been in existence a long time, and the xmas tree predates xtianity by at least 500 years.

I had always heard that it was easier to get pagans to merely switch what the holiday was about than to make them give it up entirely. Sort of a "You can still celebrate, just throw in a 'huzzah for baby Jesus' every once in a while and we're good" type situation.

I admit that I have not spent a lot of time looking into the history of Christmas celebrations, tho.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5220 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6322 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1714 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1255 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23268 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27098 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25779 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8112 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  How open are you with your Atheism? Casca 88 10045 November 3, 2016 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How I deal with no afterlife SuperMarioGamer 117 11477 October 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: TheMonster