Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If They're Right....
If They're Right....
we can tell the oil shieks to go fuck themselves.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/fusion-p...cientists/

Quote:Fusion power is only five years away, say UK scientists
RE: If They're Right....
But will it be compatible with the power armour and weapons I'm building?

On a serious note: awesome.

I've been saying for years that when the oil money revenue dries up the Middle East will go back to a place of little or no relevance.
Dying to live, living to die.
Yes! then finally we can say good bye to gasoline powered cars.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 7, 2015 at 8:52 pm)Beccs Wrote: But will it be compatible with the power armour and weapons I'm building?

On a serious note: awesome.

I've been saying for years that when the oil money revenue dries up the Middle East will go back to a place of little or no relevance.

You might say war never changes. You would be wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVIQAl9hSus
The last great Konami game.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
As with everything else, as long as there's money to be made with the old tech, the new tech won't prevail. Otherwise we would drive electro cars for at least a decade by now.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 7, 2015 at 8:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote: we can tell the oil shieks to go fuck themselves.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/fusion-p...cientists/

Quote:Fusion power is only five years away, say UK scientists

I can't wait for a time we can tell the middle east we no longer need their oil. Develop a real industry or the whole place will be one big afghanistan.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Will poppies grow in sand?
I wish them the best, but "practical" fusion power has always been just 10 years away for my whole life.

"Practical" fusion is very difficult* and so far, every new and exciting concept has come up with a new and intractable unforeseen problem.

*there is one or two 'off the shelf' practical fusion idea, but ain't nobody wants to do it.  Set of a hulkin' big nuke deep enough it doesn't blow a crater, and do it in the right geology, and there is enough heat there to make lotsa steam for a power plant for a long time.  And yes, the steam is intensely radioactive, and that's why no one wants to do it.  Another idea is to set off a a big nuke in a large bowl shaped depression (probably shaped that way from a prior nuke), line the bowl with asphalt and the appropriate isotope(s) set off the bomb, it irradiates the isotopes with neutrons, and you've bred several tons of fission reactor fuel without a whole lot of bother.  For some reason nobody wants to do this either.

Huh
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 7, 2015 at 9:07 pm)dyresand Wrote: Yes! then finally we can say good bye to gasoline powered cars.

Someone's gonna have to pry my 351 4v 71 mustang mach1 out of my cold dead ....errr..   garage?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 7, 2015 at 9:33 pm)abaris Wrote: As with everything else, as long as there's money to be made with the old tech, the new tech won't prevail. Otherwise we would drive electro cars for at least a decade by now.

Uhm, no we wouldn't - the range of electric cars and charge times are still atrocious, because battery technology is progressing extremely slowly. And if we did all drive electric cars for a decade - we'd have mountains of toxic dead car batteries to deal with by now.

When the technology is good enough - it will prevail. Sure - the oil industry will do what it can to hold on to at least some of the car market, but ultimately the better, cheaper and more convenient technology will become standard.

There's still money to be made in selling newspapers and I'm sure the paper industry (allegedly powerful enough to hold back the "miracle fabric" - hemp - for decades) should be doing a lot to hinder electronic media - yet we all have cable TV and broad-band now.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw