Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Magical Number 9
The Magical Number 9
Yes, I know we atheists aren't supposed to believe in magic. But if you do this simple exercise, you might wonder.
•Start by thinking of a number, any number.
•Now, multiply that number by 9.
•If the result is a multi-digit number, add its digits together to come up with a new number.
•If that new number is still a multi-digit number, add its digits together to come up with yet another new number. Continue doing this until you end up with a 1-digit number.
•Once you have a 1-digit number, subtract 5 from it.
•Now, using the standard numbering of the English alphabet (where 1 is A, 2 is B, and so on), find the letter corresponding to your number.
•Next, think of a European country that begins with that letter.
•Then take the last letter of that country and think of an animal that begins with that letter.
•Finally, take the last letter of that animal and think of a color that begins with that letter.

How did I know you were going to say that? Because no matter what number you pick (except 0) the end result will always be 9.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Magical Number 9
(December 10, 2015 at 5:39 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Yes, I know we atheists aren't supposed to believe in magic. But if you do this simple exercise, you might wonder.
•Start by thinking of a number, any number.
•Now, multiply that number by 9.
•If the result is a multi-digit number, add its digits together to come up with a new number.
•If that new number is still a multi-digit number, add its digits together to come up with yet another new number. Continue doing this until you end up with a 1-digit number.
•Once you have a 1-digit number, subtract 5 from it.
•Now, using the standard numbering of the English alphabet (where 1 is A, 2 is B, and so on), find the letter corresponding to your number.
•Next, think of a European country that begins with that letter.
•Then take the last letter of that country and think of an animal that begins with that letter.
•Finally, take the last letter of that animal and think of a color that begins with that letter.

How did I know you were going to say that? Because no matter what number you pick (except 0) the end result will always be 9.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

But my animal was Koala, and the colour Aquamarine. It seems likely that an unspecified animal starting with 'K', (eg. kangaroo, koala, kudu, kakapo, killer whale, komodo dragon), and an animal of the colour beginning with the last letter in that animal name, will exist in Denmark, (that's if you can think of a colour starting with that letter). Rolleyes  Smile  Wink
There are no atheists in terrorist training camps.

Negative 1.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The scariest part is actually that the color "orange", the country "Denmark" and the animal "kangaroo" are all what I picked.

I say "scary" but it is just a coincidence though.
I did indeed wind up in Denmark, but I had an ochre kea.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 10, 2015 at 8:08 pm)Evie Wrote: The scariest part is actually that the color "orange", the country "Denmark" and the animal "kangaroo" are all what I picked.

I say "scary" but it is just a coincidence though.

what a friend we have in Evie
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(December 10, 2015 at 8:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I did indeed wind up in Denmark, but I had an ochre kea.

Boru

Exotic you!

--Voltaire

Denmark -> Koala Bear -> Red

You fail. Tongue

I guess Denmark is the only 'D' country is Europe...

But there is more than one animal that starts with 'K', though, so... nice try. Big Grin

Also, what is the last digit that is supposed to be nine? I got four...
Or do you mean before the five is subtracted?

1*9 = 9 | 2*9 = 18, 1 + 8 = 9 | 3*9 = 27, 2 + 7 = 9, etc.
I see, that's what you meant.

What do you mean I'm not finished? Oh, uh... killer whale. And, um... ebony. Hey, killer whales are kind of ebony, right? But do they live in Denmark? Thinking
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
This is how it worked for me:

I thought of 2. I multiplied it by 9 and got 18. I added the digits together and got 9. I took 5 off it and got 4. The 4th letter is D. I thought of Denmark for the country. The last letter was K and I had a mental block when it came to thinking of an animal beginning with K, I know many many animals including obscure ones but I couldn't be arsed waiting for the mental block to end so I googled "animals beginning with K" and Kangaroo was first on the list alphabetically so I used that. The last letter is O and orange was the obvious color.

Hey presto, the exact results under the hide tag.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is zero a natural number? Jehanne 81 6608 July 16, 2023 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Euclid proved that there are an infinite number of prime numbers. Jehanne 7 890 March 14, 2021 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Graham's Number GrandizerII 15 1828 February 18, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  This number is illegal in the USA Aractus 13 4656 May 7, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Tricky Number Sequence Puzzle GrandizerII 16 5994 January 20, 2015 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Number crunching curios pocaracas 24 9192 January 4, 2014 at 2:14 am
Last Post: Belac Enrobso
  The nature of number jonb 82 39404 October 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jonb
  number puzzle 1-8 aufis 5 12902 April 24, 2010 at 6:44 am