Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heaven would be good
Heaven would be good
I've noticed a lot of atheists say heaven would be boring. At its worst, it might be. If it entails sitting around on a cloud with a harp singing hymns for eternity, it would really be more of a hell. But that seems like the worst version of heaven anyone could talk about (and it comes off like sour grapes). What about the best?

At best, heaven would be good beyond everyone's wildest dreams. There are a myriad of ways it could play out, some of them explored in movies like What Dreams May Come and Vanilla Sky. What if we just stuck to the known and made some tweaks? Take this world, eliminate all poverty, violence, and disease (including aging). What's left? A place of near infinite room to explore and play. I doubt I'd ever get bored.

But there are further tweaks we can make, most importantly that of our own hedonic tone. Anyone reading this is probably in a relatively neutral mood, maybe slightly above or below. Things don't have to be that way. That happiness requires sadness to contrast it is folksy psychology, and wrong. Some people are clearly consistently happier or sadder than others. Those who have done heavy doses of a psychedelic or euphoriant drug may know the true heights of the brain's emotional capacity, and believe me, they make anything one has ever experienced while sober look like a 2-dimensional gray blob of dreariness. Life on this planet could be driven by gradients of intelligent bliss.

Seems like a good thing to remain open minded about. What's the point of trying to convince oneself heaven wouldn't be the greatest thing ever? We should dream like that. Not everything about religion is a bad idea, you know.
RE: Heaven would be good
The main thing with heaven when people say it would suck is when they imply that because it's an 'eternity' it would eventually get boring.

Personally I don't subscribe to that, just because something would be eternal doesn't mean it would get boring. This problem is solved quite easily if you simply give people the ability to forget. Why would it not be possible for a heaven in which doing literally everything is enjoyable all of the time. Isn't that the whole point?

For me these exercises in thought are just pointless anyway as we are essentially debating "my imaginary world is better than your imaginary world". Silly. If it's imaginary it can be anything we fucking want it to be. It's us who came up with it after all.
Christian Heaven would be horrible. If you happen to get there, and someone you love and care about doesn't, Heaven would be hell either by virtue of not having free will, or by virtue of knowing that your loved one is suffering for eternity elsewhere.
(December 10, 2015 at 6:56 pm)Cecelia Wrote: Christian Heaven would be horrible.  If you happen to get there, and someone you love and care about doesn't, Heaven would be hell either by virtue of not having free will, or by virtue of knowing that your loved one is suffering for eternity elsewhere.

Not even once you got to heaven that's it you have no freewill of your own you are forced to be happy you can't  be sad 
and you have the same mentality as everyone else. Then also you have no personality of your own as well. Then you have hell
you keep your  free will you can think you can question everything.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
It's still a fantasy delusion. Not wasting my time.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I've always been told that heaven is getting whatever you want, and everyone is happy. Although we know how Yahweh thinks anyone who thinks and acts differently than he wants is evil, so most likely you'd be getting a spiritual lobotomy. You think what he wants you to think, and you act how he wants you to act. You can dress it up all you want, but in essence the only people the christian god wants around him are people who devote themselves fully to him. So it wuldn't be what I'd call fun, but I guess there wouldn't be enough of me left to complain after he got done with me.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

An eternity of anything is another word for hell.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Heaven would be heavenly by definition. It may not be "good" but it would be by definition pleasurable.

The description of heaven is indeed boring, but the experience would supposedly be eternal bliss. Fuck knows how but anyway it's a fairy tale so who cares.
Imagine your most pleasurable, satisfying experiences. Now imagine doing nothing else, forever, with no way out.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I've said before eventually you're going to do everything that everyone could think of doign more times than you can count. Eventually there isn't anyhing you're ever going to want to do, because you've done it all countless times. Unless your memory is being wiped periodically, any existence is going to be horrible if given enough time. That's the problem with immortality.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Mandate of Heaven atheisthunt 22 3311 February 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Thumbs Up Alzheimers in heaven. onlinebiker 73 8010 October 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2520 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Apparitions from heaven??? Jehanne 217 21169 November 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hell and heaven purplepurpose 14 2757 August 23, 2016 at 9:21 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
Question Heaven seems awful 2 me-"Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty" fruyian 141 16305 May 18, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Eureka! Hubble Space TTelescope Finds Heaven Rhondazvous 56 10111 January 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Where is heaven located? Also, why does God care about homo sapiens? MentalGiant 61 14650 September 19, 2015 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  So you want to go to heaven dyresand 42 7244 April 14, 2015 at 8:16 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Would this be all we need to prove God exists? Or would it require more than this? IanHulett 30 5641 January 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle