Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence vs proof?
Evidence vs proof?
Is there a difference between evidence and proof? If so, what's the difference?
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Evidence vs proof?
Evidence suggests something is or might be true.
Proof confirms it.
Evidence is observation. Proof is confirmation. (Strictly speaking, though, 'proof' doesn't exist outside of mathematics and those adorable word games that philosophers play.)

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I was under the impression that evidence is data - something measurable and concrete.  Proof is when you have enough scientific evidence to reach a conclusion - - a conclusion that will be replicated by others examining the same evidence.  

This is the reason that no book, story, or philosophy is able to prove the existence of god.  Book, story, and explanation all came out of somebody's brain, and has nothing measurable that is able to be replicated as proof for the existence of a deity.  In order to have proof of a deity, the deity will have to make an appearance and submit to scientific testing that will confirm it's abilities far exceed that of a human being.  And even when that happens, will we have met someone who has the ability to create galaxies - - - or just someone from another world?
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Quote:Proof is when you have enough scientific evidence to reach a conclusion

Not exactly. 'Proved' has a someone different meaning in science that it does in philosophy. I think it was Asimov (I may be mistaken and can't be arsed to look it up) who said, ' "Proved" in the sciences can only mean that a proposition is established to such a high degree of confidence that to withhold provisional assent would be perverse.' Properly speaking, all scientific conclusions are provisional, never 'proved'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 13, 2015 at 2:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Proof is when you have enough scientific evidence to reach a conclusion

Not exactly.  'Proved' has a someone different meaning in science that it does in philosophy.  I think it was Asimov (I may be mistaken and can't be arsed to look it up) who said, ' "Proved" in the sciences can only mean that a proposition is established to such a high degree of confidence that to withhold provisional assent would be perverse.'  Properly speaking, all scientific conclusions are provisional, never 'proved'.

Boru

Oh!  Thanks Boru.  Yes, that's a bit different.  Not being a scientist, I forget that scientists treat all "proof" as proof until better proof comes along.   Tongue
I honor that.  It's a constant quest for knowledge.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Yup, which is why it's often said that 'Science is made up of questions that need answers. Religion is made up of answers that must never be questioned.'

Boru
Proof is enough evidence to establish a proposition and its attended caveats to a specific threshold of probability.
For example in law "proof" means if you have evidence "beyond a reasonable doubt" you can execute someone....whether that evidence is good or not.
(December 13, 2015 at 3:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote: For example in law "proof" means if you have evidence "beyond a reasonable doubt" you can execute someone....whether that evidence is good or not.

Evidence can be worse if the person to be executed is black.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is evidence? Arkilogue 50 7761 October 4, 2016 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Evidence of ET? Jehanne 54 7402 December 19, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Empirical Evidence for Multiverse Neo-Scholastic 88 13294 December 10, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Evidence against creation Neber 51 14364 April 20, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  Can you give any evidence for Darwin's theory? Walker_Lee 51 9745 May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Evidence for the Culprit in the Late Bronze Age Collapse in the Levant Minimalist 0 972 February 14, 2014 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  More Evidence...as if it were needed...that White Evangelicals Minimalist 18 5369 January 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên
  More Evidence of Evolution in Action Minimalist 8 3299 November 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Would this be decent evidence for reincarnation? Zone 58 17225 September 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Evidence zebo-the-fat 9 4740 June 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: Colanth