Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right in the middle of posting the rap thread.
Right in the middle of posting the rap thread.
Ok, some may have been reading the hip hop rap thread I started. Well while I was trying to comment BAM, computer laptop crashed on me totally. So reboot of course, then comes up briefly then the screen goes blank again. Boot again, screen gets grey liney no immage, boot again, I can hear the hard drive no screen. Boot again then all I hear is the fan, boot again ......Now mind you I don't mean suddenly, just turn off, wait, turn on wait over the past 30 mins.

Cant tell if I got hacked, or because of my shear amount of use and I do mean all day every day with a used computer that the screen just gave in. But back on it now so...... Don't know what to think. I love this computer it has actually been my most reliable.
RE: Right in the middle of posting the rap thread.
Mine was getting steadily worse (slow and locking up) all summer. Been updating software, following some of the suggestions that pop up in the help window, and found over 800 problem reports that hadn't been blipped off to Microsoft, and I hit the "SEND NOW GODDAMIT !!!" button, and the thing is actually working pretty well for a change.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Crapped out again. Pulled the memory chip out put it back in, worked until the last post went gray and liney again, I give up for now. Using my cell now.
(December 15, 2015 at 9:17 pm)Brian37 Wrote: . . .   Using my cell now.

That's the name of the game.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I find my cell use full at doctors lobbies but it is much more cumbersome typing. I have big stubby fingers with a small touch screen keyboard
It sounds to me like your graphics card is overheating. I don't know much about the cooling features or whether you're just using the built-in graphics that comes on the CPU, but on my desktop computers, cleaning out fans or otherwise improving cooling has sometimes helped.

Make sure your laptop isn't sitting on cloth. When you're spanking the monkey, put it on a TV tray rather than on your bed. Tongue

Seriously though, a reminder to back up all your important data, because ANY problem like this could potentially lead to a total failure and loss of your data.
(December 16, 2015 at 6:25 am)bennyboy Wrote: It sounds to me like your graphics card is overheating.  I don't know much about the cooling features or whether you're just using the built-in graphics that comes on the CPU, but on my desktop computers, cleaning out fans or otherwise improving cooling has sometimes helped.

Make sure your laptop isn't sitting on cloth.  When you're spanking the monkey, put it on a TV tray rather than on your bed.  Tongue

Seriously though, a reminder to back up all your important data, because ANY problem like this could potentially lead to a total failure and loss of your data.

Back up again, at least for now, but that is another thing I had not considered, but in all this i could hear the fan so not sure that is the case. Oh and as far as important data, I dont keep that on any computer, I keep it on paper or I write it down, if this thing crashes for good, I got my money's worth from it.  Shit I paid less for it than my first month of cell phone service. I use it all the time and have probably squeezed about 2 years worth of use into one year. It is a used computer.

No I don't put it on my bed when i bank my spunky. It is on a tv tray.
Down again. I think it is fried
Ok bought a cheap chromebook, downloaded Skype but cant get the audio and video to work, Skyp says chrome does not support them looking for a third party patch  to get it to work.
(December 16, 2015 at 6:42 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 16, 2015 at 6:25 am)bennyboy Wrote: It sounds to me like your graphics card is overheating.  I don't know much about the cooling features or whether you're just using the built-in graphics that comes on the CPU, but on my desktop computers, cleaning out fans or otherwise improving cooling has sometimes helped.

Make sure your laptop isn't sitting on cloth.  When you're spanking the monkey, put it on a TV tray rather than on your bed.  Tongue

Back up again, at least for now, but that is another thing I had not considered, but in all this i could hear the fan so not sure that is the case. Oh and as far as important data, I dont keep that on any computer, I keep it on paper or I write it down, if this thing crashes for good, I got my money's worth from it.  Shit I paid less for it than my first month of cell phone service. I use it all the time and have probably squeezed about 2 years worth of use into one year. It is a used computer.

No I don't put it on my bed when i bank my spunky. It is on a tv tray.
In my experience, when there is dust in the fan, it bunches up on the fan's cover.  The fan can still turn, but the air is not flowing properly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Posting images etc Oldandeasilyconfused 16 1020 November 8, 2021 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: brewer