Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What made you give up on Jesus?
What made you give up on Jesus?
To all the Christian members of the forum,

What was it that made you decide Christianity just wasn't worth it? What "proved" to you that God isn't real? I am still a Christian, just sort of a "Doubting Thomas" at times.

Thanks Smile !
RE: What made you give up on Jesus?
I think you mean ex-Christians, right?

Has it been determined whether or not you are real yet?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(December 16, 2015 at 11:19 am)Faith No More Wrote: I think you mean ex-Christians, right?

Has it been determined whether or not you are real yet?

I poed a bit earlier.

God at times makes little to no sense to me, but I still have Christian faith and am trying to sort it all out
Oddly... and it was a long process... the opening salvo was the realization that people who walked around with jesus on their lips all the time were fairly ignorant and annoying.  From there, everything sort of cascaded to the eventual conclusion that all religion is bullshit.
It was many things. One of the last nails in the coffin was finding out that the story about a virgin birth, becoming a teacher, being killed, and coming back from the dead is not original or unique to Jesus. The god of Judaism is also not the first or only god that supposedly created the universe. There are older stories like these throughout history. You can google a list of creator gods, and characters that were born of virgins and came back from the dead. There's nothing special about it. Judaism isn't even the oldest active religion today that has a creator god in it. Hinduism is. at that point it's hard to take one religion seriously over another.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Am I allowed to respond here, or do need to sit quietly while the menfolk talk?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I don't think I bought in to it as much at first. Most of my faith came from coercion and guilt and emotional blackmail. So when I became strong enough to overcome these feelings I found that I just can't believe something so detached from the reality that I observe.
One thing that made me question the whole religion thing is that when I was growing up my older brother sassed off to my parents, told them God was stupid, and was pretty into "New-agey" stuff like buddhism and fantasy novels.

My parents were convinced he had a "demon" in him, and thus locked him away in his room, and they prayed either in the room, or outisde it. He was grounded in every sense of the word.

My younger brother and I were forbidden to talk to him, and I was punished for doing so.

He eventually "repented" and convinced my parents of his renewal to Christianity. For some reason though, he never set foot in a church after he graduated from high school.

To this day I have my doubts if it was an actual demon which made him question the faith, and not just his own intellect doing what it does naturally.
In retrospect, I never found the whole story convincing at all. Rather silly, actually. My parents failed to properly indoctrinate me enough for me not to notice what childish nonsense it is if taken seriously
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 16, 2015 at 11:52 am)TrueChristian Wrote: and was pretty into "New-agey" stuff like buddhism and fantasy novels.

I lold

The rest was disturbing, though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 862 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks. Greatest I am 20 2993 July 25, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Made for TV/ about Cleveland abductions. Brian37 0 341 November 13, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2892 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 801 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why Give God Credit for the Things We Do? Rhondazvous 19 2806 March 13, 2018 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Antares
  Amazon Alexa said Jesus/God is fake/made up/fictional? uncool 33 5522 February 2, 2018 at 12:05 am
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Do you think aliens made us Roberto 73 11600 January 25, 2018 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My dad made me laugh unintentionally Der/die AtheistIn 16 5945 January 2, 2018 at 2:12 am
Last Post: Athene
  Carl Sagan: A Universe Not Made For Us Minimalist 28 7281 May 6, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Crunchy