Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why doesn't the United States follow it's own rules when it comes to the 1st amendmen
Why doesn't the United States follow it's own rules when it comes to the 1st amendmen
This is something I have lots of trouble with an don't just understand as an American. We have the first amendment, and yet, we still allow religion to influence laws here in the states. Why is this? Also, it just never ceases to amaze me at how there's many Christians here in the USA who believe that America is a Christian nation. 

IT'S ANGERING JUST TO THINK ABOUT!!!! Angry
RE: Why doesn't the United States follow it's own rules when it comes to the 1st amendmen
It is true that there are some theistic organizations which influence government toward their way of thinking. Unfortunately, what are we to do about it?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Why doesn't the United States follow it's own rules when it comes to the 1st amendmen
But your First Amendment doesn't prohibit religious groups from influencing legislation. It forbids the establishment of a State religion and government providing preferential treatment of one religion over another.

Granted, there are grey areas. But if religious groups weren't allowed to lobby legislators, you'd have violations of 1) the free exercise clause and 2) the free speech clause.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 17, 2015 at 5:42 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: This is something I have lots of trouble with an don't just understand as an American. We have the first amendment, and yet, we still allow religion to influence laws here in the states. Why is this? Also, it just never ceases to amaze me at how there's many Christians here in the USA who believe that America is a Christian nation. 

Read Brian's response explaining the scope of the First Amendment. They are free to try and influence the laws all they want. However, a law cannot be established for a specific religious reason because that would be tantamount to a state religion.

If you want to look at the real threat to the First Amendment, you best focus your attention on recent events on college campuses and social justice warriors.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
(December 17, 2015 at 5:57 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: But your First Amendment doesn't prohibit religious groups from influencing legislation.  It forbids the establishment of a State religion and government providing preferential treatment of one religion over another.

Granted, there are grey areas.  But if religious groups weren't allowed to lobby legislators, you'd have violations of 1) the free exercise clause and 2) the free speech clause.

Boru

They are in violation of the laws granting them tax exempt status.  There is no constitutional right to a tax exemption.
(December 17, 2015 at 11:12 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(December 17, 2015 at 5:57 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: But your First Amendment doesn't prohibit religious groups from influencing legislation.  It forbids the establishment of a State religion and government providing preferential treatment of one religion over another.

Granted, there are grey areas.  But if religious groups weren't allowed to lobby legislators, you'd have violations of 1) the free exercise clause and 2) the free speech clause.

Boru

They are in violation of the laws granting them tax exempt status.  There is no constitutional right to a tax exemption.

I don't disagree, Min, but that wasn't the bitch in the first place (the First Amendment says nothing about taxes or exemptions therefrom).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You don't think christianity, islam, judaism have not had the same effect in other countries? Might want to take a look around.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
We've gotten to the point where some people believe that the country was founded on christian principles, and the first amendment only applies to different denominations of christians. Despite evidence to the contrary. I've argued with someone on this board who believed separation of church and state was only meant to keep the state out of church business. Not the other way around as well. This is how far we've fallen as a secular nation.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 17, 2015 at 7:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 17, 2015 at 11:12 am)Minimalist Wrote: They are in violation of the laws granting them tax exempt status.  There is no constitutional right to a tax exemption.

I don't disagree, Min, but that wasn't the bitch in the first place (the First Amendment says nothing about taxes or exemptions therefrom).

Boru

It's really very simple.  In exchange for tax exempt status they give up their right to lobby congress or endorse candidates.  If they wish to engage in those activities all they have to do is give up their tax exemption.

(You'll see them cut their own nuts off with a rusty saw before that happens, man.)
(December 17, 2015 at 5:42 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: This is something I have lots of trouble with an don't just understand as an American. We have the first amendment, and yet, we still allow religion to influence laws here in the states. Why is this? Also, it just never ceases to amaze me at how there's many Christians here in the USA who believe that America is a Christian nation. 

Could you provide some examples?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 3905 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1111 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why NATO doesn't give to Ukraine plan of membership? Interaktive 39 1504 April 24, 2022 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3419 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3115 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6391 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  So Apparently We Have An AG Who Doesn't Think Hawaii Is A State. Minimalist 39 7978 October 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Putin Comes To The Orange Shitgibbon's Defense Minimalist 10 1542 September 24, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Seven states bar people with a criminal record from receiving victim's compensation Angrboda 34 2247 September 23, 2018 at 5:16 am
Last Post: viocjit
  But It Doesn't Matter When There's A Republicunt In Charge! Minimalist 25 3665 July 31, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: johan