Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask an atheist
Ask an atheist
I'm an open book. Ask me anything about my atheism.

I especially invite theists to a discussion. I promise I won't be debating anyone, and everyone else will be just as friendly(I hope).
RE: Ask an atheist
Logical conundrum I've been wrestling with;
John and Susan have ten marbles to split between each other. Susan says she has six marbles. John says he also has six marbles. Susan points out this is impossible because theres only ten and that by the laws of mathematics and physics what he suggests is impossible. In response John invokes several metaphysical arguments he learned from Deepak Chopra to state that matter is meaningless, only the mind is real and that we all operate psychically on the quantum level.
How long does it take for Susan to laugh John out of the room?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Why did you pick the name excited penguin?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Actually I picked it for my first skype account, a long time ago. After that, I used it for other accounts and emails as well, but it's not the only nickname I use over the internet.

I couldn't say. Maybe it's because as a kid I had these friends and we all had some nicknames for each others. I chose to identify myself as Penguin for some reason, I couldn't tell you why.

The nickname was almost certainly taken in that form, and it seemed to lack something anyway, so to add an adjective that somewhat described me was a no-brainer.
Can you please post a picture of yourself?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Maybe I will, in the appropriate thread. Or I might PM it to you, when I decide to, ok?

We'll see.
Do you have a facebook account?

-walsh
No, I'm not big on social media. I remember talking about why in your own thread about facebook.
So why do you hate god, and suppress the truth in your unrighteousness?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 18, 2015 at 7:51 pm)Chad32 Wrote: So why do you hate god, and suppress the truth in your unrighteousness?

I don't so much hate God, as I try to understand what it means for believers to love Him.

I like to think I search for truth, rather than supress it. But I guess it depends on what you mean by truth and how it(or what you mean by it) relates to my own understanding of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask a former atheist ErGingerbreadMandude 77 14356 November 15, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Ask a lifelong (irreligious) atheist robvalue 29 3310 July 30, 2016 at 3:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Ask a Traditional Atheist with a short attention span The Valkyrie 12 4513 July 24, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: InsomniacMike486
  Ask a black atheist FriendlyNeighborhoodAtheist 38 5456 July 1, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: pocaracas