Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence of ET?
Evidence of ET?
I have been following this now for a few months:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

But, unlike religion, modern scientists are not willing to "take it on faith."  But, still, the evidence is tantalizing.  Can traditional theism survive the discovery of ET?  After, if Jesus, the supposed Son of God died on this World, did he also die on other worlds, also, ad infinitum?
RE: Evidence of ET?
Nah, don't sweat it brah...

It'll just be:

"Obviously God is a greater giver of life than we imagined! Praise the almighty!"
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Quote:But, unlike religion, modern scientists are not willing to "take it on faith." But, still, the evidence is tantalizing.

WHAT evidence? I'll save you the trouble: There is no evidence at all that the variability of KIC 8462852 has anything to with ETI or built structures or anything of the sort. There are speculations that this may be the case, but there is no evidence.

I weep for my species when I reflect that of the half-dozen or so hypotheses regarding the light fluctuations of this star, the one everybody seems eager to pounce on is that aliens are building Dyson swarms.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 18, 2015 at 8:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:But, unlike religion, modern scientists are not willing to "take it on faith."  But, still, the evidence is tantalizing.

WHAT evidence?  I'll save you the trouble:  There is no evidence at all that the variability of KIC 8462852 has anything to with ETI or built structures or anything of the sort.  There are speculations that this may be the case, but there is no evidence.

I weep for my species when I reflect that of the half-dozen or so hypotheses regarding the light fluctuations of this star, the one everybody seems eager to pounce on is that aliens are building Dyson swarms.

Boru

I stand (or sit) corrected!  Speculation is a much, much better term!!  The perspective that I was bringing was, "If one eliminates the impossible, then what remains, however improbable..."  The "cold comet swarm" just doesn't sit with me, but I agree, more observations are needed!  But, yes, it's all a bunch of speculation at this point, but still, better than religion which offers no evidence and no verifiability and/or falsifiability.
I don't see why ET life would be in opposition to theism at all...
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Quote:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

No mention of other planets.

Now, as noted above, some theist will say, "ah, but if you stand on your head with an ultra-violet lamp stuck in your ass and shine it in a mirror on the Greek words they don't really mean that."
This has already been conclusively proven. Doesn't anyone remember this footage from 1982?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-mHuJCL_UM
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(December 18, 2015 at 7:46 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I have been following this now for a few months:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

But, unlike religion, modern scientists are not willing to "take it on faith."  But, still, the evidence is tantalizing.  Can traditional theism survive the discovery of ET?  After, if Jesus, the supposed Son of God died on this World, did he also die on other worlds, also, ad infinitum?

Do pathogens which we fight with antibiotics and vaccinations rally back and evolve to keep developers of these constantly on their toes? It's unfortunately like that with religion, which is a cultural virus, much as Dawkins pointed it out in The God Delusion. Show us an alien civilization, or show us dozens, whatever the revealed facts can throw at religious faith you'll see every religion bending its theology around it.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(December 19, 2015 at 12:17 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I don't see why ET life would be in opposition to theism at all...

It wouldn't be. The Abrahamic religions might have a bit of explaining to do, though.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
[Image: w0ynu.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is evidence? Arkilogue 50 7678 October 4, 2016 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Evidence vs proof? IanHulett 20 3819 December 14, 2015 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
  Empirical Evidence for Multiverse Neo-Scholastic 88 13156 December 10, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Evidence against creation Neber 51 14130 April 20, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  Can you give any evidence for Darwin's theory? Walker_Lee 51 9551 May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Evidence for the Culprit in the Late Bronze Age Collapse in the Levant Minimalist 0 965 February 14, 2014 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  More Evidence...as if it were needed...that White Evangelicals Minimalist 18 5338 January 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên
  More Evidence of Evolution in Action Minimalist 8 3271 November 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Would this be decent evidence for reincarnation? Zone 58 17079 September 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Evidence zebo-the-fat 9 4729 June 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: Colanth