Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short message for the Religious
Short message for the Religious
For those religious who like to tell Atheists "You just believe what other people tell you"
I've seen this used quite a bit on this forum.

You get all your beliefs from a book.

Don't talk to me about "just believing what other people tell me", because by definition you're the extremist version of this case. And for the record, even if all I did was believe what others tell me, so what? If all I had to go on was testimony, I would much rather believe someone who explains how something works, and why their position is true, even if it turns out to be completely wrong, in comparison to someone who doesn't even address the argument in the first place. 
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Short message for the Religious
What difference does it make?
(December 22, 2015 at 9:24 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: What difference does it make?
What do you mean?
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
You will understand one day.
(December 22, 2015 at 9:26 pm)Heat Wrote:
(December 22, 2015 at 9:24 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: What difference does it make?
What do you mean?

The book just enforces the irrational beliefs but the irrational beliefs itself stem from 
tradition and brainwashing also indoctrination. There are tons of other things as well.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
That's just really two sides of the same coin, Heat . . . whether it comes from a book or from a person's testimony, it's still gullibility.  The willingness to follow the group, to believe what others profess without asking for any real proof.  

What I find interesting is the level of WORSHIP for that book.  They tell everybody that this book is special and holy and contains God's message for the entire world, but few read it.  More take random verses that support whatever political or moral stance they hold at the moment, and use them to try to control other people.  It's an idol, it's a weapon, it's a symbol of their special-ness.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(December 22, 2015 at 9:46 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: That's just really two sides of the same coin, Heat . . . whether it comes from a book or from a person's testimony, it's still gullibility.  The willingness to follow the group, to believe what others profess without asking for any real proof.  

What I find interesting is the level of WORSHIP for that book.  They tell everybody that this book is special and holy and contains God's message for the entire world, but few read it.  More take random verses that support whatever political or moral stance they hold at the moment, and use them to try to control other people.  It's an idol, it's a weapon, it's a symbol of their special-ness.
That doesnt change the fact that the beliefs stem originally from the book.

However, obviously there are more sides, I just am too lazy to address them.

My comparison is that sometimes we have to rely on testimony, and the testimony of someone who explains, and addresses all aspects, in comparison to the testimony of someone who explains, but misses addressing some of the aspects, will always be more reliable, not that it's true, but more likely to be true, which is why someone saying that we just believe what others tell us could be true, but doesn't change the fact that we are still inclined to believe the arguments that present themselves as most logical, and in that respect, their basis of belief from personal testimony is still much less logical than what they claim our belief is based on personal testimony, and much less likely to be true for that matter.
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 23585 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Religious education (short video) Zenith 15 2296 January 21, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  My forum message to theists robvalue 28 3971 December 28, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  A message to the Religious Napoléon 55 10040 July 20, 2015 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32859 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Message from American to Europeans goddamnit 36 10436 September 15, 2012 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Red Celt
  A message to Islam Brian37 30 8666 September 14, 2012 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Message for all theists Phil 66 23089 March 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religious people giving out papers with a disturbing message.... superstarr 28 12001 September 30, 2010 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: superstarr
  The Long and the Short of it. Paul the Human 153 55601 July 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Ace Otana