Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:30 am

Poll: Would you consider moving to an Atheist Nation?
This poll is closed.
Yes
15.79%
3 15.79%
No
84.21%
16 84.21%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you move to an Atheist nation?
Would you move to an Atheist nation?
I recently joined a facebook group that seeks to create an independent, sovereign nation where no religion would be tolerated. Obviously, we're still in the planning stages as no such nation exsists. This got me thinking, If our little thought experiment ever got up off the ground, would anyone be willing to move there? 

Think carefully now, moving is a traumatic experience and you would in fact have to renounce your citizenship to the nation you currently live in. You may also have to leave behind friends and family, stable income, or even a comfortable standard of living. Also, this is assuming things don't go "Galt's Gulch" and we destroy ourselves. You would literally have to build your livelihood from the ground up.
RE: Would you move to an Atheist nation?
I'm trying to create a benevolent dictatorship called Beccovia.

For some reason I can't get many volunteers.
Dying to live, living to die.
A nation with no Christian chicks? Haha good luck with that.
Simply: No.

Freedom of thought, speech, and expression are too important.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I would not, any more than I would voluntarily live in a theocracy.
No, of course not. Freedom of speech is the cornerstone of civilization and such a society wouldn't have it.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Erm, no? What a horrible thought.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Atheism is using freedom of speech to wrench away the moral high ground from religious groups and doing so very successfully. In the United States Atheists have largely been on the right side of the freedom of speech issue and Christians have some frightening tendencies against it. I worry at a reversal of that trend for the Atheists.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I'm guessing all of you in this group are very young. It's an absolutely idiotic idea for the reasons CapnAwesome has pointed out.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
No. Freedom of ideas and expression are things I value highly. I'm all for reducing the harm religion can cause and removing it's special treatment, though.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1431 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3189 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11342 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6515 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6510 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 13333 April 1, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3543 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7018 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  If You Ruled Your Own Country, Would You Ban Religion? Salacious B. Crumb 79 11972 May 8, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Convert or Move Out: Emergency LivingNumbers6.626 50 8911 October 6, 2014 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist