Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proselytizing
Proselytizing
It seems to me from reading some of the threads here that many of you do not like it when Christians try to proselytize, particularly when it is you.

Here is a quote from Penn Jillette (from Penn and Teller), who is an atheist:

"If you believe that there's a heaven and hell and people could be going to hell--or not getting eternal life or whatever--and you think that, well, it's not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward...How much do you have to hate somebody not to proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that?"

What are your thoughts on this quote? Do you agree? Disagree? Think it depends on the situtation?
RE: Proselytizing
(June 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm)rjh4 Wrote: It seems to me from reading some of the threads here that many of you do not like it when Christians try to proselytize, particularly when it is you.

"If you believe that there's a heaven and hell and people could be going to hell--or not getting eternal life or whatever--and you think that, well, it's not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward...How much do you have to hate somebody not to proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that?"

What are your thoughts on this quote? Do you agree? Disagree? Think it depends on the situtation?

I just have a gut feeling that Penn meant that sarcastically, and not seriously at all (as you are taking it).

I do have a problem when Christians try to proselytize, because they mostly will tell you "I'll pray for you" if you've proved them wrong, or you have a better argument, or they're outnumbered, and for a host of many other reasons. And they won't listen to you, when you try to tell them things. They refuse to listen. At least, that's how it always goes in my experiences. No matter how even-tempered and open-to-discussion this Christian might be, they always end up storming out on our conversation or saying the stupidest things and trying to change the subject before I can rebut. So yes, it gets just a little bit tiring, I would say.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
(June 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm)rjh4 Wrote: It seems to me from reading some of the threads here that many of you do not like it when Christians try to proselytize, particularly when it is you.

On the surface it makes it look reasonable to proselytize.

BUT it is a huge pain in the arse when some holier than thou dickwad wants to force his usually fundamentailst and mental world view on you.

I can see where they're coming from, I really can, they 'know' the truth and we as sinners are doomed to a fiery hell if we dont repent.

Except of course it is always utter bollocks.

I want to know what makes a theist tick, I do not want to become one.Wink Shades

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm)chasm Wrote: I just have a gut feeling that Penn meant that sarcastically, and not seriously at all (as you are taking it).

I think you would be wrong. Watch for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdvES4_MJ...re=related

(June 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm)chasm Wrote: I do have a problem when Christians try to proselytize, because they mostly will tell you "I'll pray for you" if you've proved them wrong, or you have a better argument, or they're outnumbered, and for a host of many other reasons. And they won't listen to you, when you try to tell them things. They refuse to listen. At least, that's how it always goes in my experiences. No matter how even-tempered and open-to-discussion this Christian might be, they always end up storming out on our conversation or saying the stupidest things and trying to change the subject before I can rebut. So yes, it gets just a little bit tiring, I would say.

(June 30, 2010 at 2:06 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: the surface it makes it look reasonable to proselytize.

BUT it is a huge pain in the arse when some holier than thou dickwad wants to force his usually fundamentailst and mental world view on you.

So would it make a difference to you if the person acted more like the person Penn was talking about?
(June 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm)rjh4 Wrote:
(June 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm)chasm Wrote: I do have a problem when Christians try to proselytize, because they mostly will tell you "I'll pray for you" if you've proved them wrong, or you have a better argument, or they're outnumbered, and for a host of many other reasons. And they won't listen to you, when you try to tell them things. They refuse to listen. At least, that's how it always goes in my experiences. No matter how even-tempered and open-to-discussion this Christian might be, they always end up storming out on our conversation or saying the stupidest things and trying to change the subject before I can rebut. So yes, it gets just a little bit tiring, I would say.

(June 30, 2010 at 2:06 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: the surface it makes it look reasonable to proselytize.

So would it make a difference to you if the person acted more like the person Penn was talking about?

No, I don't think so. It would be nice if they listened to us every now and again.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Xtians can pray all they want. It's their own time they are wasting.

It's not as if anyone is listening.
Quote:So would it make a difference to you if the person acted more like the person Penn was talking about?

I would certainly be more polite.

I may even feel a little guilty because I would think that what he was shovelling was shit, but i would listen smile and nod.

Good enough for yaWink Shades

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm)rjh4 Wrote: So would it make a difference to you if the person acted more like the person Penn was talking about?

Not even a little.

I'd listen to a point but they'll just be wasting their time.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Actually, I pretty much agree with the quote. If I was religious, I'm sure I'd want to proselytize the unbelievers. Even if I only managed to convert one of 'em, then that would be worth the hassle that I got from the remaining heathens- for what could possibly be more valuable than saving the immortal soul of another person?

However, as it happens I'm not at all religious. In fact I'm a militant atheist. And I do find being preached at irritating, even though I accept that the preacher has what s/he views as my best interests at heart.

Praying for me is another matter. Theists are welcome to pray for me as much as they want. They'll be wasting their time, but thats their problem, not mine.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche

I can understand where Penn is coming from (and I really like the guy).

HOWEVER....

Religious morons have committed the most heinous atrocities believing they were doing so to "help". Back in the Middle Ages "heretics" were burned at the stake because the dipshits in charge believed that death by fire gave the condemned a chance of getting into "heaven". The belief was that "God" might show mercy to this person because they died in fire. Therefore, "God" may spare them the fire of "Hell". You see... they were burning people to death out of KINDNESS!
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  proselytizing dry land fish 62 20070 September 7, 2009 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused