Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Good News
Some Good News
Dept. of Justice shutting down the federal civil forfeiture law and the fucking cops are pissed!

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/12/...tail=email

Quote:You may have missed it, but this past week the Department of Justice announced that it would be suspending the “equitable-sharing” program. This is the program that allows local law enforcement agencies to choose to prosecute asset-forfeiture cases federally, instead of locally. This is significant because federal policies allow these municipalities to keep upwards of 80 percent of what they steal seize from citizens.

Anything that gives the fucking cops less incentive to be robbers is a good thing.  Another reason to keep the republicunts out of the white house.  You can bet they'd restore this program post haste.
RE: Some Good News
I'll have to review some references, but my understanding is the only thing that changed was the feds are going to start keeping the 80% for themselves. That is a little different than not having any forfeitures in the first place.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

But the feds are not the ones out there making the seizures in the first place.  The local robbers...er, cops...have been abusing the system.
I wasn't really paying attention when CNN did it, and I didn't find it on the DVR, so I might be having (another) senior moment.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good News from yesterday's election. Brian37 14 2126 November 9, 2018 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Why's it so difficult for some to accept Obama was a good president NuclearEnergy 44 5807 January 13, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  NEWSWEEK: This Is Good News I Guess Minimalist 0 466 August 31, 2016 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Good News - Bad News Minimalist 3 653 July 5, 2016 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Good job, Nebraska! I think I'll have some celebratory corn tonight. Alex K 8 1589 May 28, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander? A Theist 24 7073 December 29, 2012 at 10:54 am
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  The Bastard Makes Some Good Points. Minimalist 7 2546 January 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet