Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeing red
Seeing red
Okay first thing's first, I'm not angry about anything  Wink This is gonna be a post all about the mind and perception, particularly colour perception.

Animals, including humans, have brains and it is highly probable but not proven that those brains produce the perceptions (i.e. qualia) that we experience. If it were not the case that brains produced perceptions it would be an extraordinary coincidence and heading into the realms of 'idealism' and suchlike. Although I'm open to that possibility for the sake of what I'm saying here I'll assume that the brain does indeed produce (or computes, or emerges from or whatever) perceptions in one way or another.

Different animals have difference sense organs and thus presumably very different perceptions of the world. It's probably beyond our imagination to conceive of what it's like for an animal very different from ourselves to perceive some aspects of the world, such as a bat or dolphin with echo location - a feature we're unfamiliar with. But it *might* be reasonable to assume that a dog, say, visually perceives the world very similar to us because it has eyes like we do. Eyes collect data about the light 'out there' and that information is processed by the brain and perception is computed that is not exactly the same as the original input. I.e. in the case of our two eyes a 3D perception is created out of two 2D input devices (eyes). So in other words the perception that is created is the result of some sort of computation.

These perceptions have no location in physical space and they are not 'made' of physical matter, yet they exist in some form because in our experience we can detect the difference between one thing and another. If I feel pain, I can feel how that changes or disappears entirely. Or I can see a blue pencil on top of a white piece of paper and can see that they are different. There are different states in these perceptions and if one thing is not the same as another then they can't both be nothing.

Perceptions are functionally useful. Colour perception makes perfect sense from a computational point of view as a means of labelling 'pixels' in parallel so that the right sorts of patterns can be detected in the world, and at the right level of abstraction. Compare trying to read words in a text document versus by looking at the binary representation of that same document. Or compare looking for patterns in a 1D array of numbers vs a 2D array.

Whether the perception of colour is equivalent to the underlying brain activity - has a one-to-one correspondence with it and thus is it - or whether it is created by it, in addition as it were, in such a way that perception itself could feed back into the system (i.e. kind of like dualism), doesn't really matter to what I'm talking about here. Personally I think it's the former but I can't rule out the latter. Or even the third possibility that it is not connected to physical brain activity at all and we're living in some sort of 'idealistic' world and/or God. But assuming it's the former, the evolutionary 'design' of a perception reflects what the brain is already doing behind the scenes... the brain is already discriminating the patterns we experience in consciousness and somehow they find representation in conscious perceptions. In other words, colour is equivalent to what the brain is doing when it processes colour neurally and computationally.

So with the background to my thinking out of the way, that leads me onto my questions. I hope you and I can agree that a banana is yellow. We both know what a banana looks like and we both know what the colour yellow looks like. But how can we both be sure that our experience of the colour yellow is the same? I don't think we can. If every yellow 'pixel' in my visual field actually showed the colour I perceive as blue and vice versa then from common social experience of the world and the objects in it, I'd label blue yellow and yellow blue. Then you and I, looking at the same banana, would both call it yellow but experience something different. But then someone could come along and ask me to compare colours. They might say 'yellow is lighter than blue'. At which point I would have to disagree, I think. It would only work if the whole colour spectrum was inverted - black became white and everything in between... then I would label the process of colours looking darker, lighter. So for instance when you said white is lighter than grey and me in my inverted world with black as white and white as black would label the visual difference between grey>black as 'lighter' when it was in fact darker.

Who knows how many other constraints there are on how we can talk to each other about colour, and catch each other out as it were about our experience of it. And each difference we can talk about is something we must first be able to detect in our own visual fields. There's already colour blindness etc which identifies when two people's experience of colour is not the same, but these constraints, and the number of them, do suggest to me that it is likely that we all experience colour roughly the same - that if we did not, the various constraints would have singled out people with a fundamentally different experience of colour. So assuming that to be the case - that we all experience roughly the same experience of colour - it becomes apparent that there are billions of brains out there all producing the same qualia in their perceptions. As an emergent property of a replicable brain that's all well and good and to be expected but as for the 'palette' how does it come to be... how is it 'designed' as it were? I wonder if it is the case that the colour qualia we 'see' is the only way to represent the data in a way that meets all the constraints of the system... that the palette we see emerges because it is the only way to differentiate, in the right ways, between the different states that are represented in the underlying neural hardware. That somehow an inverted colour world fails somewhere to meet the constraints of the actual brain-in-state and therefore does not, and cannot appear. That therefore all perception, whatever type it is, 'presents' the data in the only way it can to fulfil it's objectives.

Any thoughts are welcome on any aspect of this Smile
RE: Seeing red
TH;DR

(Too hot, didn't read).
Stinking hot here today, I'll read tonight).
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 29, 2015 at 11:15 pm)ignoramus Wrote: TH;DR

(Too hot, didn't read).
Stinking hot here today, I'll read tonight).

Thanks man, that's very kind of you Smile I am expecting many real TL;DRs and maybe some complaints under the Trade Descriptions Act by people expecting to see a rant Wink But Seeing Red is a good book about this sort of thing so it's not completely inappropriate. Anyway, I just felt the need to get that thought out there even if no one replies to it. Just writing it down helped to work through my thoughts. But apologies if it's in the wrong place or shouldn't have been penned in the first place, being a case of TB;DR (too boring; didn't read) or TS;DR (too stupid; didn't read). Smile
I read the whole thing but my brain isn't smart enough to gather you saying anything more than that we all (besides from colorblind people) seem to perceive colors in the same way? Maybe? I haz confus.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
A personal remark: When the Prophet of Islam ascended to the higher spiritual realms, he saw 40 lights of which one was red which is by which redness get's it's redness from. These were lights of God's light.

There is other hadiths that say God's light is of various hues...there is infinite colors really. We only have some. And each is a manifestation of God.

The inward is connected to the outward. All forms are manifestations of the mind of God. When I say this I don't simply mean he witnesses all things. I mean he witnesses all things in himself, the ultimate of all things, God is everything but not anything in particular.

If you would only see the beauty in all and all in the one beauty.
But what about zeh dark forces MK?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(December 30, 2015 at 1:08 am)Losty Wrote: But what about zeh dark forces MK?

They have incredible powers all from God. Of course all features of the uncleanness is all from God's essence as well, but misdirected and unbalanced. When things are out of balance, it's called darkness. When things are in balance, it is light.

Corruption/uncleanness/darkness although opposes the light borrows power in rebellion to God's Name from God's power. 

Even Satan's initial rebellion, his pride, his arrogance, all of it's from God and manifests God, but it was out of balance. God is balance. He placed the balance.

Chaos is darkness, balance is God. Chaos borrows from God, but is making a mess of his face.
TL DR,

Sincerely yours,

EP.
I'd guess the palette is just what evolution settled on.

Bees seem to have a completely different palette.  White is Blue-Green, Red is black, Purple is blue.

Seems like once the brain gets the data, it can do whatever it wants with it.
(December 30, 2015 at 12:52 am)Losty Wrote: I read the whole thing but my brain isn't smart enough to gather you saying anything more than that we all (besides from colorblind people) seem to perceive colors in the same way? Maybe? I haz confus.

Thanks Muffy for enduring it  Wink Just put it down to my current messed up sleep pattern mixed in with a bit of existential angst  Wink

It was mainly a question about a) if we do indeed see the same colours and b) if so, why? how were they 'designed' as it were and that perhaps one answer was that it was the only way they could be designed to fit the requirements of the 'system' that was the brain... that any different palette would not fit in with the requirements of the system as it were.