Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crowd-sourcing Mrs. Rhythms European Vacation
Crowd-sourcing Mrs. Rhythms European Vacation
-Because I'm lazy and ignorant. 

The wife and I have begun discussing a trip to Europe.  She's never been, I can never describe the feeling.  Tentatively, the plan is to fly into London.  If we wanted to get to Athens, by train and ferry, and we passed through your country....what could we see in a day, as we hopped trains.  What should we see, what should we not miss?  Shameless pride in ones own place of origin is highly encouraged.  

Plan my trip, and make it purty, purty like she likes it.

(edit: pics or it didn't happen)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Crowd-sourcing Mrs. Rhythms European Vacation
You should definetely see Prague, Vienna, Venice, Rome and Pompei. It's all on the way south to Brindisi, where, if I'm not mistaken, you can board a boat to Greece. Maybe even make a stop at Malta on the way.

Oh, and if you happen to visit Vienna, drop me a line. I would be happy to show you the sights.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
First of all, if you want to take her to see a lot of Europe, fly open jaw (in one country, out another, and don't backtrack). Yes the tickets will be more expensive, but not more than doubling back by plane or train will be.

From there, my question is what does Mrs. Rhythm most like? Mountains and natural wonders? Then the southern British coast, Wales, the Lake District, Northern Scotland, The Alps (French, Swiss, German, and Italian), The Italian Lakes, The Greek Isles, Bavaria, much of Austria, all make much sense. Architecturally grand cities? Venice, Amsterdam, Paris, Budapest, Prague, Vienna, Rome. Barcelona is is a thing unto itself and wondrous. Twisting narrow European Streets? Florence, Tuscany generally, much of Spain, Prague again, Venice. Picturesque seaside towns? The riviera Italian and French, Portugal, Southern England, Wales, Northern France, and many places I'm missing. Art? London, Paris, Madrid, Vienna, Florence, Rome, Amsterdam. Cities with canal "roads"? Amsterdam, Bruges, Venice.

A classic trip is London, Paris, Switzerland, Venice, Florence, Rome. An easier saner trip is London, Paris, Amsterdam or London, Paris, Venice, Rome. Or London, York, Hadrian's Wall, ferry to Amsterdam, Bruges.

Personally, and it is personal, I prefer to travel slow and stay for at least three days if not a week in each city with two or three day stops in smaller places. For a first trip European sampler, I'd do one week London with day trips to two or three of: Oxford, Bath, Salisbury, Cambridge, or Canterbury; four or five nights Paris; Florence with a day trip to either Lucca or Siena (but unless you and Mrs. Rhythm really love Renaissance Italian art there are better choices than Florence) such as Rome or Venice. Given another week I'd add Rome or Venice (but then I really love Italy and you could add Switzerland, Bavaria, Barcelona, or Amsterdam instead). A marvelous and varied trip is the triplets: Vienna, Prague, and Budapest. It's easy to add a Salzburg, a little Germany or Poland to the mix.

Remember that five nights anywhere is really four or four and half days sight seeing. So every day traveling loses you a day unless the train ride itself is very scenic.

If you can, go in the Spring or Fall when the weather is still good, but the cities less crowded.

You are really asking much too broad a question. I'd go to the library and get DK EyeWitness Guides for a variety of places. They are lousy for planning details, but full of photos that will help you decide where to go. Then use Rough Guides, Lonely Planet, and Rick Steves guides to hash out the details like cost, and transport.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 30, 2015 at 8:02 pm)abaris Wrote: Oh, and if you happen to visit Vienna, drop me a line. I would be happy to show you the sights.

We will be in Vienna in early July 2016, and would love to meet you.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 30, 2015 at 8:44 pm)Jenny A Wrote: We will be in Vienna in early July 2016, and would love to meet you.

Gladly, just drop me a PM if you know when and where.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  European Opinions Foxaèr 0 196 September 27, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  About non European films. Peebothuhlu 4 513 November 15, 2020 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  The Go Go's "Vacation all you never wanted." Brian37 10 1068 July 13, 2020 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  European Vacation Jackalope 40 3339 February 17, 2018 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The impudent interference of the European's way of life and values rado84 27 4129 September 13, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Vacation time! Dystopia 24 2155 August 31, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Vacation! Bob Kelso 8 1190 July 11, 2015 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  So It Seems the Anti-Vax Crowd Minimalist 74 11176 February 12, 2015 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Strider
  Going on vacation Dystopia 9 1656 July 27, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
Wink Scientist ejected by audience after trying to crowd surf at classical music concert MountainsWinAgain 11 2144 June 22, 2014 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox