Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member
How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member
Okay, I will try and make this as short as possible. 

Anyways, I was just sitting with my brother in law on Christmas Eve and he was on his smartphone looking at Facebook. And then he was saying how he's annoyed by gay people and he called them fags. Apparently he has a gay friend on Facebook. And he's all like "Sorry, but I don't want fags around my kids. It's bad enough they are forcing their disgusting agenda on us".

This entire statement literally almost made me fell off my chair. For one I have a few gay friends and also I just don't think it's right to say things like that.

Anyways, he and my sister are coming over for New Years Even tonight, how do I combat this if the situation ever arises?

Keep in mind he's an avid Donald Trump supporter...so logic isn't really a possibility with him. Undecided
RE: How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member
Give him a great big kiss?

Angel
RE: How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member
(December 31, 2015 at 2:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Give him a great big kiss?

Angel

What ^ he said.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I would interrupt any reference to his bigotry with a hand and say "Stop. It's not okay to speak that way in front of me". Repeat as necessary.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
(December 31, 2015 at 2:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Give him a great big kiss on his butthole ?

Angel

There, fixed that for you.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Tell him this Christians said it's not nice to use derogatory words such as fag. That said I do not want gays around my great nieces and nephews either, but if it happens I expect them to treat them as human beings, you know do unyo others as you would have them do unto you.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Put a big sign on the front door "Bigotry Free Zone" (next line) "Violators Will Be Expelled!" (next line) "This means you [insert his name]". He should get the hint. If not your sister should. Let her be the bigotry police (unless she has those traits also).
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Make them feel as uncomfortable as they make you feel. Be sure they know they aren't invited back to your home anymore
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I deal with this one with my brother-in-law about once a year. I ask what makes him hate gays. So far the question has quieted him every time. But it hasn't stopped him from raising the subject the next year.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 31, 2015 at 2:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Give him a great big kiss?

Angel
French kiss!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2283 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7410 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1487 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2714 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 2961 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 9112 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2103 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2780 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  The ECLIPSE! It's going to be a sign from GAWD! drfuzzy 148 33131 January 5, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Disappointing my family Der/die AtheistIn 9 1763 December 23, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi