Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 commandments of logic meme
10 commandments of logic meme
Hi folks.
I'm sure some of you have seen this before.  I like it though, so I thought that I'd post it for those who haven't seen it.

[Image: 70539c063291d2742ce43003bc501e54.jpg]

I was also wondering . . . I ran across this quote in another thread:  argument from ignorance is "you can't prove It's false, thus its true" or "you can't prove it's true, thus it's false"   Well, I think I have actually used that last phrase as "no empirical evidence for god = no god."   Is this a logical fallacy?  Should every atheist who has gnostic moments hedge their bets and claim to be an agnostic instead?  Because the more accurate statement is "I have seen no evidence that convinces me that a god exists."   ???
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: 10 commandments of logic meme
The English is too garbled to really enjoy them... Also, what? I must not assume that my premises are true? That makes no sense.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 1, 2016 at 3:08 am)Quantum Wrote: The English is too garbled to really enjoy them... Also, what? I must not assume that my premises are true? That makes no sense.

Well, I must admit that trying to phrase these in the language of the King James Bible - - did not help to clarify the terms.    Rolleyes   I think I liked them because here were ten common logical fallacies, laid out in a new way.

Assume premises are true?  Theists do it all the time without any empirical evidence to support their original premise.     Tongue
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
The btq fallacy is that your conclusion is already hidden in the premise, not that you start with valid premises in the first place, which is kind of required of any argument. I mean,
Thou shalt not have thy desyred conclusio hidden in one of thy premises, for this rendereth thy argument circular. Smile

Hm this discussion sounds familiar, I think we've had these before.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Love it, Quantum!  Thanks!
The theists favourite:

1) use any amount of watered down logic to get your point across.
2) if they don't buy it, go to step 3
3) Troll them for 100 pages.
4) feel good that you are important enough to have had so much attention.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(January 2, 2016 at 12:13 am)ignoramus Wrote: The theists favourite:

1) use any amount of watered down logic to get your point across.
2) if they don't buy it, go to step 3
3) Troll them for 100 pages.
4) feel good that you are important enough to have had so much attention.

Clap     Worship      

one . . . small . . . question/suggestion though:  at what point does "watered down logic" just equal "bullshit"?  And then into "completely unsubstantiated bullshit".   And one more step into "delusion".    I'm not sure that I have seen many posts from theist trolls that one could call logically correct.
Thou shall NOT spelleth "sequitur" wth an "o."
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 2, 2016 at 12:51 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Thou shall NOT spelleth "sequitur" wth an "o."

Indeed, thou better avoideth that Big Grin

(January 2, 2016 at 12:59 pm)Quantum Wrote:
(January 2, 2016 at 12:51 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Thou shall NOT spelleth "sequitur" wth an "o."

Indeed, thou better avoideth that Big Grin

Oh crap, it really does.   Oh I can't believe I missed that.  (hangs head in shame)     Bag

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The evolution of logic ignoramus 3 917 October 7, 2019 at 7:34 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11243 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 984 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  On Logic and Alternate Universes FallentoReason 328 38205 November 17, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Formal logic for Dummies? LadyForCamus 48 8681 February 6, 2016 at 8:35 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Logic 101 Tiberius 29 19252 October 4, 2015 at 7:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  10 commandments of logic drfuzzy 15 4864 August 28, 2015 at 5:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise. Mystic 81 17432 October 17, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Practical Applications of Apologetic Logic DeistPaladin 5 1562 July 28, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Formal Logic Classes OGirly 8 2990 March 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle