Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How honest should parents be?
How honest should parents be?
In you're opinion whether you're a parent or not, how honest should parents be with their children when teaching them about life in this world?

Do you think children deserve a little chill out time not having to worry about global warming, sex, drugs, death, religion and money? 

Or just teach them everything you know right away.

Surely most people would say the best way is somewhere inbetween total insulation from the real world while at the same time not telling them all the mentally disturbing facts about the world too soon?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: How honest should parents be?
Quote:Do you think children deserve a little chill out time not having to worry about global warming, sex, drugs, death, religion and money? 

I think they should be taught about all that shit when they reach a certain age, but until they hit that age then let them keep their childish innocence or whatever you want to call it.
(January 3, 2016 at 9:01 am)paulpablo Wrote: In you're opinion whether you're a parent or not, how honest should parents be with their children when teaching them about life in this world?

Do you think children deserve a little chill out time not having to worry about global warming, sex, drugs, death, religion and money? 

Or just teach them everything you know right away.

Surely most people would say the best way is somewhere inbetween total insulation from the real world while at the same time not telling them all the mentally disturbing facts about the world too soon?

I think parents should always be honest with children. That however doesn't mean a parent should reveal everything when there's no need for it or without considering the consequences, but parents should slowly prepare and guide their children through honesty. For example don't teach religion is BS to a toddler, rather teach her to question and reach conclusions on her own. Don't bother discussing drugs until they can at least get to school on their own with enough pocket money for that kind of investment. When it comes to sex, don't lie and don't make up obvious bs, cause it is better they find out the truth from their parents than investigating on their own or learn from an outsider.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

It might differ from case to case. In my case, I would've been far better off if my folks were straight with me whenever I asked for sincerity. I can imagine a case where you shouldn't tell a kid something because either he can't handle it or he'll act out in a negative way in light of the acquired information, but I can't say much about that, maybe that situation wouldn't come about in the first place if you raised your kid right to begin with.

But it's pointless to think about too much, anyway. It might not be up to the parents these days whether their children find out about something or not, what with the internet and all. Not to mention friends telling you about stuff you're not supposed to know about yet, so to speak.

I think honesty is one of the absolute best qualities a parent can have, but the wisdom to know how and when to employ is important as well.
I've always felt that it is my duty as a parent to prepare my children for a world without me in it. I can't and won't always be around. It's best to level with them, in my view.

Timing/age-appropriateness should be taken into account, though. Innocence is wonderful, until it threatens to cause problems for them.

When my boys were younger, they didn't always heed my warnings about wandering off/stranger danger until I told them precisely what happens to children that go missing (without being completely graphic). They faces fell, but they finally got it after that. 

I hated for them to know that, but they needed to.
(January 3, 2016 at 10:03 am)Thena323 Wrote: I've always felt that it is my duty as a parent to prepare my children for a world without me in it. I can't and won't always be around. It's best to level with them, in my view.

Timing/age-appropriateness should be taken into account, though. The bliss of childhood innocence is wonderful, until it threatens to cause problems for them.

When my boys were younger, they didn't always heed my warnings about wandering off/stranger danger until I told them precisely what happens to children that go missing (without being completely graphic). They faces fell, but they finally got it after that. 

I hated for them to know that, but they needed to.

That sounds like overdoing it. Did you consult how many kids do in fact get kidnapped on average, before you went ahead and told them that?
I think children should be taught the truth about as much as possible, as a gradual process. Weighing them down with things they don't need to know yet or can't understand seems mean and pointless.

I think the beginning of sex education could do with starting younger in general.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 3, 2016 at 10:10 am)excitedpenguin Wrote:
(January 3, 2016 at 10:03 am)Thena323 Wrote:

That sounds like overdoing it. Did you consult how many kids do in fact get kidnapped on average, before you went ahead and told them that?

When children wander off and disappear, anything can happen to them. They don't have to be kidnapped to be molested or abused.

And btw, I don't care if you think that's overdoing it. I'm not in the mood for your haranguing, pestering, or bullshit today. Find someone else to fuck with. I'm not the one.
You're the one that mentioned strangers. And what else could possibly happen to them in a civilised society? Someone will eventually help them out and seek out their parents.

Well, I'm sorry you take that attitude. Let me ceremoniously say I don't give one lonely fuck about your mood swings, either.
Not to mention you sound a bit like a maniac. Shouldn't be looking after kids in the first place, if you ask me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dumb donald's parents? no one 2 447 October 13, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are parents allowed to stay with little kids if infected with covid 19 ? Megabullshit 30 1756 April 3, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10465 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  About LGBT Parents Der/die AtheistIn 13 1624 December 24, 2017 at 5:42 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  2 pieces of advice for future parents ErGingerbreadMandude 68 12683 November 17, 2017 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Cod
  Can I rant for a second, about parents NuclearEnergy 12 2145 December 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2101 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity
Photo Going to be brutally honest - BLM edition dyresand 26 2920 August 31, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Parents not taking there crying child outside at a restaurant or store Sterben 65 6073 May 2, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  A honest statement dyresand 6 875 April 15, 2016 at 1:22 am
Last Post: ignoramus