Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Life Began on Earth
How Life Began on Earth
Sophie’s world is a novel of fiction. It also contains a lot of information about the history of philosophy from pre-Socrates to the existentialism of the 20th century.
But I’m whether the author may have taken fictional liberties concerning science.

When describing the philosophies of Darwin and his time, the character tells us that life must have developed before the earth had an atmosphere because DNA would have been oxidized by oxygen and destroyed. And this, according to the character, is why no new life can develop today.

I thought about this and based on what I think I know, it doesn’t seem right.
For one thing it assumes that life began as stand-alone DNA. So did it? Did the mitochondria and Golgi bodies and endoplasmic reticulum develop around the DNA at a later date?

Another thought is since life began in the ocean, there had to be an ocean for it to develop in. How do you have an ocean without oxygen? H2-0?

Can anyone here shed light on this?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How Life Began on Earth
Most hypotheses on early stages of life is really conjecture. We can certainly take best guesses, and each theory has it's own questions. So I don't think anyone can truly "shed light" as it were but discussing specifically these concerns perhaps. As far as actually how life began, well nobody really knows.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
An oxygen atmosphere around a planet devoid of life (other than the mere wispy traces on such bodies like Europa) is pretty much impossible. So an oxygen atmosphere might (eventually) follow DNA formation but it would not precede it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 4, 2016 at 3:09 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Sophie’s world is a novel of fiction. It also contains a lot of information about the history of philosophy from pre-Socrates to the existentialism of the 20th century.
But I’m whether the author may have taken fictional liberties concerning science.

When describing the philosophies of Darwin and his time, the character tells us that life must have developed before the earth had an atmosphere because DNA would have been oxidized by oxygen and destroyed.  And this, according to the character, is why no new life can develop today.

I thought about this and based on what I think I know, it doesn’t seem right.
For one thing it assumes that life began as stand-alone DNA. So did it? Did the mitochondria and Golgi bodies and endoplasmic reticulum develop around the DNA at a later date?

Another thought is since life began in the ocean, there had to be an ocean for it to develop in. How do you have an ocean without oxygen? H2-0?

Can anyone here shed light on this?

The oxygen you refer to is free oxygen molecules, O2 and O3, not oxygen atoms in chemical combination with other elements, like hydrogen, to form water H2O.

Earth always had just as many oxygen atoms as it does now. But prior to the great oxidation event around 2.3 billion years ago, all (and I mean all, as in 100% to literally 4 dozen decimal places) of earth's inventory of oxygen atoms were bound up in chemical bonds with other elements, including silica, hydrogen and carbon.

So there is plenty of sand, water, carbon dioxide, and various other oxygen bearing compounds, but no molecular oxygen. We know this how? We know experimentally that some of the minerals that are found in very ancient rocks can only form on the surface of the earth, but can not form except under conditions where the molecular oxygen content of the atmosphere is extremely close to zero, so close that the fractional partial pressure of free oxygen in the atmosphere had to have been zero to close to 40 decimal places.

So to answer your question, the ocean of salty H2O has existed on earth since at least 4.3 billion years ago. But until 2.3 billion years ago, the ocean was choked full of dissolved iron, and completely free of dissolved molecular oxygen. The air too had plenty of carbon dioxide, but zero free oxygen. Oxygen atoms were all there, but none of it is in the form of pure oxygen molecule.
[Image: 840px-Oxygenation-atm-2.svg.png]

Graphical form of what Anomalocaris said.  From Wikipedia page on "Great Oxygenation Event".  Essentially, life started over 3 billion years ago (maybe 3.5ish?) but O2 certainly wasn't around until 2.5 bya at the earliest, and didn't reach today's levels until relatively recently in the geological timescale

(In the picture the red and green are the upper and lower bounds, respectively, of the estimated oxygen concentration)
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(January 4, 2016 at 5:21 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: [Image: 840px-Oxygenation-atm-2.svg.png]

Graphical form of what Anomalocaris said.  From Wikipedia page on "Great Oxygenation Event".  Essentially, life started over 3 billion years ago (maybe 3.5ish?) but O2 certainly wasn't around until 2.5 bya at the earliest, and didn't reach today's levels until relatively recently in the geological timescale

(In the picture the red and green are the upper and lower bounds, respectively, of the estimated oxygen concentration)

Gee, the GEO is an amazing story. The way Wikipedia describes it, it reads like an epic drama. The very thing that makes our life possible was the bane of anaerobic organisms. The Oxygen Holocaust. So oxygen is the great geological Hitler. The Mussolini of the cosmos.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

The fundies, the truthers, the deniers, all love to play gotcha science.
They are also all assholes.
(January 4, 2016 at 3:09 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Sophie’s world is a novel of fiction. It also contains a lot of information about the history of philosophy from pre-Socrates to the existentialism of the 20th century.

When describing the philosophies of Darwin and his time, the character tells us that life must have developed before the earth had an atmosphere because DNA would have been oxidized by oxygen and destroyed.  And this, according to the character, is why no new life can develop today.
Most of earths "free" oxygen is attributable to life itself.  Oxygen is a byproduct of photosynthesis, the basis of all life on this planet, aerobic organisms did not (and could not) develop -until-  sufficient oxygen was present to respirate.  Earth had an atmosphere long before that atmosphere was approx 20% oxygen.  To say that life must have formed before earth had an atmosphere is ludicrous.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 10, 2016 at 5:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote:

Most of earths "free" oxygen is attributable to life itself.  Oxygen is a byproduct of photosynthesis, the basis of all life on this planet, aerobic organisms did not (and could not) develop -until-  sufficient oxygen was present to respirate.  Earth had an atmosphere long before that atmosphere was approx 20% oxygen.  To say that life must have formed before earth had an atmosphere is ludicrous.

Set me straight, dear heart. I got it right but I tend to fuck up when I’m imprecise.

BTW, how did so much o2 wind up in the upper atmosphere? My understanding is that the ultraviolet rays of the sun cause o2 (ozone) to combine with water producing hydrogen peroxide which falls to the Earth to nourish the plants. Is o2 lighter than air, causing it to rise?

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life eating other life. Brian37 42 2260 May 14, 2021 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  the age of the earth jasonelijah 88 5231 March 30, 2021 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  quality of life or life for life's sake tackattack 37 2296 November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  No official name for earth's moon Foxaèr 32 2081 March 4, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Primordial earth much more hospitable to life than imagined. Anomalocaris 0 966 September 17, 2014 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Night Life Began A While Ago Minimalist 2 858 September 4, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  SO THE EVIL EVOLUTIONIST SCIENTIST FIRED MARK H. ARMITAGE FOR DISPROVING OLD EARTH Duke Guilmon 13 6733 July 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Duke Guilmon
  The Earth must be older than 7000 years, then! pocaracas 5 2694 April 25, 2013 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Comets could have seeded life on Earth Minimalist 19 6003 March 13, 2013 at 2:33 am
Last Post: colossal123
  Life began with a planetary mega-organism orogenicman 3 1136 November 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: orogenicman