Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good day from a new member.
Good day from a new member.
Hello all,
I'm a new atheist (as of maybe a month now). I've joined this forum to mainly add to my reading list. So far I've finished God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, I'm currently finishing The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and will be starting The Portable Atheist by Christopher Hitchens in the coming weeks as well as either Letter to a Christian Nation or The End of Faith by Sam Harris. I've also been watching many debates, lectures, and videos to educate myself well on anti-apologetic, evolution, and the origin of the universe. 

My back story (to use comic book terms) is actually pretty common. My father is the pastor of a baptist church. He's very intelligent, well learned, has a masters degree in theology; he is a very smart man. Throughout my life I felt as though religion (Christianity mainly) didn't make any logical sense. For instance, as a child, I never understood why a perfect God would create imperfect beings, ordain them to fall, and have to sacrifice himself to save us from himself because of something he did. When I would bring this up to a theist in my life the answer was always the same... "because it would give God glory." None of it made sense. Fast-forward 6-10 years later and here I am at 20 years old coming to grips with the idea, there is no god. When I discussed it with my parents, they made sure I knew they loved me no matter what, but that this decision can only be made with much evaluation. So for the past month I've been binge reading authors (both atheist and theist alike) to find truth. So, I come to the forum for two thing as follows: Material and Community. Any good read you all would recommend or a certain place in the forum I can go to find this stuff, and like minded people I can talk to and ask questions about issued I come across. I am also a member of a Husky forum and I thoroughly enjoy the sense of community we have, so I hope this is no different.

I would say currently, the thing I'm in need of the most is a good book explaining morality with Darwinian evolution. I live with two seminary students, so usually I can slam all of their arguments into the ground, but I don't have any answers for morality. I've heard Sam Harris' book on morality is a good one, but are there any others you all find particularly enlightening?

I look forward to getting to know you all and learning a lot. Thanks in advance for the replies!
RE: Good day from a new member.
Greetings, and welcome to the forums!
Welcome!

Quote:either Letter to a Christian Nation or The End of Faith by Sam Harris

I recommend you read both, in inverse order. They're well worth it.
Welcome Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
If you can handle archaeology, try "The Bible Unearthed" by Israel Finkelstein.

That will show you that the bullshit did not begin with the NT but that the OT is a crock, too.
Hey and welcome to the forum.
I recommend reading http://www.al-islam.org/lwm .
(January 4, 2016 at 4:00 pm)atjanks Wrote: Hello all,
I'm a new atheist (as of maybe a month now). I've joined this forum to mainly add to my reading list. So far I've finished God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, I'm currently finishing The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and will be starting The Portable Atheist by Christopher Hitchens in the coming weeks as well as either Letter to a Christian Nation or The End of Faith by Sam Harris. I've also been watching many debates, lectures, and videos to educate myself well on anti-apologetic, evolution, and the origin of the universe. 

My back story (to use comic book terms) is actually pretty common. My father is the pastor of a baptist church. He's very intelligent, well learned, has a masters degree in theology; he is a very smart man. Throughout my life I felt as though religion (Christianity mainly) didn't make any logical sense. For instance, as a child, I never understood why a perfect God would create imperfect beings, ordain them to fall, and have to sacrifice himself to save us from himself because of something he did. When I would bring this up to a theist in my life the answer was always the same... "because it would give God glory." None of it made sense. Fast-forward 6-10 years later and here I am at 20 years old coming to grips with the idea, there is no god. When I discussed it with my parents, they made sure I knew they loved me no matter what, but that this decision can only be made with much evaluation. So for the past month I've been binge reading authors (both atheist and theist alike) to find truth. So, I come to the forum for two thing as follows: Material and Community. Any good read you all would recommend or a certain place in the forum I can go to find this stuff, and like minded people I can talk to and ask questions about issued I come across. I am also a member of a Husky forum and I thoroughly enjoy the sense of community we have, so I hope this is no different.

I would say currently, the thing I'm in need of the most is a good book explaining morality with Darwinian evolution. I live with two seminary students, so usually I can slam all of their arguments into the ground, but I don't have any answers for morality. I've heard Sam Harris' book on morality is a good one, but are there any others you all find particularly enlightening?

I look forward to getting to know you all and learning a lot. Thanks in advance for the replies!

Welcome!

First off I applaud your parents for being open-minded and non-judgmental.  Very rare in Christian circles.  Great to hear they want you to pursue knowledge and make your own decision.  I look forward to conversing with you!
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(January 4, 2016 at 4:07 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: Welcome!

Quote:either Letter to a Christian Nation or The End of Faith by Sam Harris

I recommend you read both, in inverse order. They're well worth it.

Agreed, The End of Faith is an amazing read.

Welcome aboard, new guy!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new member asswriter 8 231 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4448735 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New member MistMuse 7 277 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 597 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 872 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 657 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1370 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1195 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2072 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2640 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one