Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watching "Cosmos"
Watching "Cosmos"
Watching Cosmos, sometimes I feel there are still holes to be filled where I am questioning science.

Of course, this very desire for knowledge and willpower to not accept something on the basis of it being told to me is precisely why I am not a theist today.

Then I remember that science does not fill holes with a readily comforting answer as does religion.

Science has always been comfortable with stating it does not know something despite the immense pressure of society to provide an answer.

Science does not cave, and those who are too impatient for answers are also too dumb. Sadly, the too dumb phenomenon is what comprises the majority of human population.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Watching "Cosmos"
Quote:Only the very ignorant are perfectly satisfied that they know. To the common man the great problems are easy. He has no trouble in accounting for the universe. He can tell you the origin and destiny of man and the why and wherefore of things.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll,
Thank you for that quote. Ingersoll is basically my hero.
~ Erin Hunter
Another thing I love about this show is that it corrects history.
~ Erin Hunter
Being comfortable with saying "don't know" is a strange way to put it, I've often thought.

I'd say the main reason for scientific pursuits is because of precisely the opposite.
(January 4, 2016 at 8:13 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Being comfortable with saying "don't know" is a strange way to put it, I've often thought.

I'd say the main reason for scientific pursuits is because of precisely the opposite.

I agree, we always want to turn an I don't know to a veritable I know.

Science provides the path toward that knowledge.
~ Erin Hunter
Yeah.

To me it's actually the religious contingent that are the ones content to say "I don't know" by putting their various gods in place as the answer.
(January 4, 2016 at 8:17 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Yeah.

To me it's actually the religious contingent that are the ones content to say "I don't know" by putting their various gods in place as the answer.

Except they always state I know for god as the ultimate solution.
~ Erin Hunter
(January 4, 2016 at 8:18 pm)Kitan Wrote: Except they always state I know for god as the ultimate solution.

Which is ironic.
(January 4, 2016 at 8:19 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Which is ironic.

Very.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey Cosmos fans: you're about to get another Neil deGrasse Tyson TV show. Mudhammam 14 2337 February 14, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Cosmos with Neil De Grasse Tyson Premieres Tonight Minimalist 224 24636 May 15, 2014 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  The Fabric of the Cosmos: What Is Space? Gooders1002 0 1297 May 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Cosmos to get a Sequel in 2013. leo-rcc 1 1171 August 5, 2011 at 9:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger