Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthony Burgess' mail
Anthony Burgess' mail
This is an actual letter Anthony Burgess received from his editor after he asked if he could submit a novella instead of a "thinkpiece" to Rolling Stone.

His editor at Rolling Stone, Hunter S. Thompson, wrote to Burgess on 17 August 1973: ‘What kind of lame, half-mad bullshit are you trying to sneak over on us? Do you take us for a gang of brainless lizards? Rich hoodlums? Dilettante thugs? You lazy cocksucker. I want that Thinkpiece on my desk by Labor Day. And I want it ready for press. The time has come & gone when cheapjack scum like you can get away with the kind of scams you got rich from in the past. Get your worthless ass out of the piazza and back to the typewriter. Your type is a dime a dozen around here, Burgess, and I’m fucked if I’m going to stand for it any longer.’
RE: Anthony Burgess' mail
I'd be interested to hear Burgess' reply, if any.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Anthony Burgess' mail
I looked for it and I couldn't find it, it may not even exist, really. Meanwhile, I found the letter in full. Here it is, for your reading pleasure.

Dear Mr. Burgess,

Herr Wenner has forwarded your useless letter from Rome to the National Affairs Desk for my examination and/or reply.

Unfortunately, we have no International Gibberish Desk, or it would have ended up there.

What kind of lame, half-mad bullshit are you trying to sneak over on us? When Rolling Stone asks for “a thinkpiece", goddamnit, we want a fucking Thinkpiece... and don’t try to weasel out with any of your limey bullshit about a “50,000 word novella about the condition humaine, etc...”

Do you take us for a gang of brainless lizards? Rich hoodlums? Dilettante thugs?

You lazy ccocksucker. I want that Thinkpiece on my desk by Labor Day. And I want it ready for press. The time has come & gone when cheapjack scum like you can get away with the kind of scams you got rich from in the past.

Get your worthless ass out of the piazza and back to the typewriter. Your type is a dime a dozen around here, Burgess, and I’m fucked if I’m going to stand for it any longer.

Sincerely,

Hunter S Thompson.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  They said, "Anthony, you gotta quit drinking." Gawdzilla Sama 5 769 March 28, 2023 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dawkins Reads His Hate Mail Edwardo Piet 25 2605 October 28, 2015 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Mail Carrier Refuses To Deliver Gay Wedding Invitations - Minimalist 2 1140 September 1, 2015 at 2:59 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72