Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moar Advice!
Moar Advice!
So I just got offered a raise and a promotion this morning.

I am currently the QE Team Lead for L850 Powertrain, Second Shift.

I got offered the QE Group Lead for L850 Powertrain, Third Shift.

It's a $5/hr raise, but I'd have to work 10pm-6am.

Which has pros and cons:

Pros:
+ Moar Money, less hours. (Second shift works 6-7 days a week, third shift doesn't.)
+ I get to see people I like more. Working 2-10pm (like I am now) sucks balls because I can't see normal people when they're off work.
+ Will work for my school schedule. I won't have to worry about when classes are offered. I can just take classes any time.
+ If I start before Saturday, I can watch the Steelers' playoff game!

Cons:
- Working overnight shifts is notoriously bad for health
- Don't know how it will affect my mental acuity if I'm going to school after work rather than before.
- I'll probably get stuck in third shift until I leave.
- No sleep, like ever.

Help me!!!!!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Moar Advice!
Wow, that's an awfully big raise. Congratulations. It's tempting, but like you said, there are very real health risks.

I personally couldn't do it. It would just wreck my mental health.

Which way do you feel yourself leaning?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 7, 2016 at 12:54 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Which way do you feel yourself leaning?

I'm leaning toward taking it.

The hours are a big deal. I think the mental health risks of working 7 days a week with no break are countered by the overnight shift risks. Also, I still am going to school. So I'll be outside in the daytime.

I literally had 2 days off from October 12th-Thanksgiving. I had 1 day off between Thanksgiving and the December shutdown.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Woah congrats Steel!

I obviously couldn't say which one would be better for you, but fwiw I think you could possibly make it work with rearranging your sleep schedule though it will probably be real though at first.

Do you think less sleep (but with a regular schedule) could be easier than long hours?
(January 7, 2016 at 1:03 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I'm leaning toward taking it.

The hours are a big deal. I think the mental health risks of working 7 days a week with no break are countered by the overnight shift risks. Also, I still am going to school. So I'll be outside in the daytime.

I literally had 2 days off from October 12th-Thanksgiving. I had 1 day off between Thanksgiving and the December shutdown.

If you're already working too much and this will lessen your hours, you may not even notice an affect on your mental health. Combine that with more money and freedom, it sounds like taking may be the way to go.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Wow, that's awesome!

It sounds like it's a close call. I'd say concentrate on whatever will make you happiest. It's hard to tell which that would be from pros and cons.

No sleep... sounds horrific Sad
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Wow, that's actually quite a bit of money. Congratulations!

If I were in your position and a student, I'd be thinking ahead and probably lean towards turning it down, though. Education is huge investment. I'd feel there were too many variables involved that could thwart my academic progress. 

Of course, I simply don't have all of the details. You may not have much schooling left and/or be perfectly capable of pulling it off. Or it may worth your while to take the position, if you plan on staying with the company long after you complete your degree. 

Best of luck on making your decision. Congrats again.
Though I've done night-shifts throughout my college, I'd say it is probably for the best to turn it down now. Good grades and a healthy life will provide a lot more and better opportunities down the line. Don't ruin them just for some quick bucks.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 7, 2016 at 1:41 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Wow, that's actually quite a bit of money. Congratulations!

If I were in your position and a student, I'd be thinking ahead and probably lean towards turning it down, though. Education is huge investment. I'd feel there were too many variables involved that could thwart my academic progress. 

Of course, I simply don't have all of the details. You may not have much schooling left and/or be perfectly capable of pulling it off. Or it may worth your while to take the position, if you plan on staying with the company long after you complete your degree. 

Best of luck on making your decision. Congrats again.

I am most decidedly not going to be with this company one second longer than I have to be. It is a means to an ends, for now.

One thing that is certain is that I will still have a lot of down time during work hours. I am responsible for a team of quality inspectors and their team lead, and I am also responsible for designing quality spill alerts/fixes, as well as responding to defects that make it to the Assembly line. If there are no quality alerts, I am basically doing paperwork/payroll and sitting in the lounge. And the assembly line shuts down 2-3 hours into my shift.

I can do schoolwork in that downtime. I can't sleep, but I can maintain my productivity in that way.

I don't think it will affect my schoolwork appreciably. I do worry about driving the hour to and from school after work. And also test taking when I can't get a night's sleep before hand.

You seem to be able to pull that off. I think you should definitely take it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moar Holidays! GUBU 5 392 August 21, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 540 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6024 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1030 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Last Minute Gift Advice Neo-Scholastic 28 3854 December 27, 2017 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  2 pieces of advice for future parents ErGingerbreadMandude 68 12690 November 17, 2017 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Cod
  Dating advice seandiggy 30 4403 October 23, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: J a c k
  A little advice on a family matter please NuclearEnergy 6 1110 August 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Medical advice Macoleco 12 3112 July 7, 2017 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  Some advice on how to deal with a "interesting" brother in law NuclearEnergy 21 5579 July 3, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Regina