Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is philosophy dead?
Is philosophy dead?
Has science killed the usefulness of philosophy, or is science itself a philosophy? 

People like Stephen Hawking, Lawrence Krauss, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and even Richard Dawkins tend to think the former, where as philosophers gravitate towards the latter. Philosophy doesn't make progress, this is why Sam Harris went into neuroscience after philosophy, because he got tired of philosophers waiting for the scientists to learn about the human brain. One could even try to use science to create ethics as Harris is trying to do, though some could argue that doing such is philosophy.
RE: Is philosophy dead?
Personally, I see philosophy as the map and science as the tool to find the most efficient path once you've decided where you want to go. Science can only tell you what is, it can't tell you what ought to be. I know Sam Harris hates that (from what I remember) but it doesn't stop it being the case. I don't find his arguments persuasive on this matter. He just appears to shoe-horn in a load of prepacked philosophy and then not call it philosophy.

So no, I think philosophy is alive and well. If you call the kind of thing I'm thinking about philosophy.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's not a decision between philosophy or science. I dare you to make an interesting scientific statement without making philosophical assumptions at the same time.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Right.

Informally, I think of science as dealing with the real, and philosophy dealing with the abstract. We necessarily use abstract concepts all the time when modelling reality, so that builds philosophy right into it.

Of course, philosophy is often thought of as just discussing the "meaning" of things and so on. I don't know if it's a really-well defined term or not.

And like Alex says, you're making philosophical assumptions all the time, like "there is an external reality" and "logic works a certain way" and so on, before you even get into "killing is bad".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
When those scientists talk about philosophy being dead, I don't think they mean that philosophy itself is useless. Like Quantum said, science requires philosophical assumptions, and any scientist worth a grain of salt knows that. What they mean when they say philosophy is dead is that philosophers fail to keep up with the latest scientific findings and adjust their theories accordingly. When was the last time you heard someone pontificating about a soul reference the latest neuroscientific findings?

So, it's not really that philosophy is dead. It's that philosophers themselves have left it dying.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
What happens when people like WLC calls themselves "philosophers" only to gain credibility to the already gullible masses? Philosophy spawned a daughter, much like her, but better, called science. Yet, Philosophy has been made an unwilling whore by another daughter, called religion.

So there is the distinction, shall we find out more about the reality, or pretend that there is a conforting blanket anywhere?
Dead? No.

Seriouslyinjured and in need of a long rest and recuperation.
Dying to live, living to die.
For practical people in a practical world, yes.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(January 9, 2016 at 8:41 am)Faith No More Wrote: When those scientists talk about philosophy being dead, I don't think they mean that philosophy itself is useless. Like Quantum said, science requires philosophical assumptions, and any scientist worth a grain of salt knows that. What they mean when they say philosophy is dead is that philosophers fail to keep up with the latest scientific findings and adjust their theories accordingly. When was the last time you heard someone pontificating about a soul reference the latest neuroscientific findings?

So, it's not really that philosophy is dead. It's that philosophers themselves have left it dying.

I've said it before. Often when I hear philosophers of science talk about my specialty of quantum field theory and particles, I want to throw things. Many of them don't understand the theory properly (it is damn hard!) and that leads to embarrassing results.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I think when scientists talk about philosophy being dead, it means they don't want to bother with philosophical challenges to science which are outside their domain. Or, to be blunt, they do not want to accept that anything IS outside the domain of science, though many things very clearly are.

There are, to them, three kinds of questions: those which are scientific in nature, those which through redefinition of terms can be pretended to be scientific in nature, and those which are stupid questions not worth asking or answering. You know-- things like why there is existence rather than a lack of it, or what beauty is, or goodness, or even life. Things like how we should best live out our short lives. Useless shit like that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5105 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1348 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3415 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1542 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12355 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2559 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4880 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8190 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11648 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2259 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne